Attach two urdf models in Gazebo

Nicolas Goossaert
Hi all,

last week I sent an email asking how to link 2 urdf models in Rviz, and
the answer was a fixed transorm.

Now I am trying to do approximately the same, but with Gazebo. Is there
a similar trick to attach my hand at the end of my arm ?

Cheers,

Nicolas

Re: Attach two urdf models in Gazebo

John Hsu
For PR2, we write individual components as xacro macros, and build various robot configurations into a single urdf.  For example see attached arm urdf, utilizing various component urdf's from pr2_description.

Right now, there is no dynamic joint(constraint) creation between separate models in simulation.  If this is something that is useful, please create a ticket.

hope this helps,
John

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Nicolas Goossaert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

last week I sent an email asking how to link 2 urdf models in Rviz, and
the answer was a fixed transorm.

Now I am trying to do approximately the same, but with Gazebo. Is there
a similar trick to attach my hand at the end of my arm ?

Cheers,

Nicolas

r_arm.urdf.xacro (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Attach two urdf models in Gazebo

Yeon Grace Lee
Hi I have a follow up question regarding spawning urdf model in gazebo. Currently, I have all the links and joints in one urdf file (I am using an xml format, not xacro, though I intend to convert from one to the other in the future). What I am wondering is if my model were to move two or more joints simultaneously, does this necessitate having separate urdf models for each part of the body?

And by the way, how do you make the joints move in gazebo? Pointer to a tutorial page would help me out very much.

Thanks!

-Grace

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM, John Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I've answered inline,

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Yeon Grace Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi I have a follow up question regarding spawning urdf model in gazebo. Currently, I have all the links and joints in one urdf file (I am using an xml format, not xacro, though I intend to convert from one to the other in the future). What I am wondering is if my model were to move two or more joints simultaneously, does this necessitate having separate urdf models for each part of the body?

sorry I do not understand your question.

And by the way, how do you make the joints move in gazebo? Pointer to a tutorial page would help me out very much.

There are at least two ways to do this, here are a couple:
  1. apply efforts directly in gazebo (example: http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/Tutorials/Gazebo_ROS_API#Apply_Efforts_to_Joints_in_Simulation)
  2. using the mechanism control stack (example: http://www.ros.org/wiki/pr2_simulator/Tutorials/Pendulums).  Take a look at the launch scripts in pr2_examples_gazebo for more details.
John