Cannot load message class for [rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?

Cannot load message class for [rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?

Hao Dang
Hello all,

I met a problem when I use "rostopic echo *" on a topic which I built,
ROS complained and said "Cannot load message class for
[rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?".  But when I wrote
a dedicated listener which subscribed to this topic, I can get the
information of the published messages to this topic.  Does anybody
know why?  By the way, "rostopic list" can list the topic and
"rostopic info" can also get the information of the topic.

Thank you!

Hao

Re: Cannot load message class for [rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?

Ken Conley
Hi Hao,

I'm not sure what you mean by "rostopic echo *"

Your error message is odd because there is no such message "rviz/SelectionMessage". It would be helpful if you provided more details.

 - Ken

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Hao Dang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I met a problem when I use "rostopic echo *" on a topic which I built,
ROS complained and said "Cannot load message class for
[rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?".  But when I wrote
a dedicated listener which subscribed to this topic, I can get the
information of the published messages to this topic.  Does anybody
know why?  By the way, "rostopic list" can list the topic and
"rostopic info" can also get the information of the topic.

Thank you!

Hao

Re: Cannot load message class for [rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?

Hao Dang
Hey Ken,

Yeah, I am adding a message publisher into RVIZ so that I can get the
user selection from RVIZ.  I will try building a separate package for
it right away.  Thank you!

Hao

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Ken Conley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a follow-up, if you're trying to hack rviz by adding new messages to it,
> you need to add the messages in a separate package. rviz builds its own
> swig-based Python module that prevents the ROS python data classes from
> defines modules.
>
>  - Ken
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Ken Conley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hao,
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "rostopic echo *"
>>
>> Your error message is odd because there is no such message
>> "rviz/SelectionMessage". It would be helpful if you provided more details.
>>
>>  - Ken
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Hao Dang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I met a problem when I use "rostopic echo *" on a topic which I built,
>>> ROS complained and said "Cannot load message class for
>>> [rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?".  But when I wrote
>>> a dedicated listener which subscribed to this topic, I can get the
>>> information of the published messages to this topic.  Does anybody
>>> know why?  By the way, "rostopic list" can list the topic and
>>> "rostopic info" can also get the information of the topic.
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Hao

Re: Cannot load message class for [rviz/SelectionMessage]. Are your messages built?

Hao Dang
Oh, CORRECT!  It stops complaining and begins to work as we expect
when I put the message into a separate package.  Thank you, Ken.