Confirmation on primesense

Chris Jones-2

I just heard back from Primesense, their cameras are no longer available to the public.

Structure.io's camera might be an alternative.

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Martin Peris
Thank you Apple! :)

2014/1/23 Chris Jones <[hidden email]>

I just heard back from Primesense, their cameras are no longer available to the public.

Structure.io's camera might be an alternative.

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Ingo Lütkebohle-2
Did they say whether "the public" mean just consumers, or other companies also?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Chris Jones
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just heard back from Primesense, their cameras are no longer available to
> the public.
>
> Structure.io's camera might be an alternative.

Ingo Lütkebohle, Dr.-Ing.
Machine Learning and Robotics Lab, IPVS, Universität Stuttgart
http://www.ipvs.uni-stuttgart.de/abteilungen/mlr/abteilung/mitarbeiter/Ingo.Luetkebohle
+49-711-685-88350

PGP Fingerprint 3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Martin Peris
They are not selling to companies either, at least the Japanese branch.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just heard back from Primesense, their cameras are no longer available to
> the public.
>
> Structure.io's camera might be an alternative.

Ingo Lütkebohle, Dr.-Ing.
Machine Learning and Robotics Lab, IPVS, Universität Stuttgart
+49-711-685-88350

PGP Fingerprint 3187 4DEC 47E6 1B1E 6F4F  57D4 CD90 C164 34AD CE5B

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Antoine Rennuit
As far as I know the "Structure" device has carmine inside...

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/17/occipitals-new-structure-sensor-turns-your-ipad-into-a-mobile-3d-scanner/

Antoine.

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:45:01 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [ros-users] Confirmation on primesense

I just heard back from Primesense, their cameras are no longer available to the public.

Structure.io's camera might be an alternative.

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Vincent Rabaud-2
And just to add to the fun, they're closing OpenNI
http://www.openni.org/

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:45:01 -0800
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

I just heard back from Primesense, their cameras are no longer available to the public.

Structure.io's camera might be an alternative.

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Jack O'Quin

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Vincent Rabaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
And just to add to the fun, they're closing OpenNI
http://www.openni.org/

I just saw that. No more libopenni downloads after April 23rd.

What does that mean for PCL and ROS? Will people need to get behind libfreenect and add more reverse engineering? Are there other options?
--
 joq

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Piyush
I was under the impression that only the openni website will be
closed, but the code will remain available on github. Can someone
confirm this? If so, we might still be fine for existing devices over
the next 1-2 releases.

There is a port of libfreenect that supports the asus devices [1], but
the code was never integrated into the main repository. Recently, some
progress has been made for Kinectv2 as well [2]. If I am not mistaken,
Kinect and Kinectv2 might be the only mass produced RGB-D devices that
might be available after this summer.

[1] https://github.com/zarvox/libfreenect/tree/xtion
[2] https://github.com/christiankerl/libfreenect2/tree/ir_iso_transfer

Piyush

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Jack O'Quin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Vincent Rabaud <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> And just to add to the fun, they're closing OpenNI
>> http://www.openni.org/
>>

> I just saw that. No more libopenni downloads after April 23rd.
>
> What does that mean for PCL and ROS? Will people need to get behind
> libfreenect and add more reverse engineering? Are there other options?
> --
>  joq

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Arkapravo Bhaumik
Reads like disaster ! I did purchase 2 ASUS Xtions, and found Xtion as more useful than Kinect -- first those went off the market, and now they also stop the OpenNI project.

I wonder if Xtions work with freenect ?? ! :-( ..... AFAIK, they don't !

Re: confirmation on Primesense

Chris Jones-2

Is OpenNI open source as the name implies? Is anyone taking over the project or hosting a mirror?

We (Overthrow Robotics) have been working on our boxing robot with the plan of going commercial for two years. This is a major blow. Thanks Apple!

Re: confirmation on Primesense

kamicc olo
Don't worry, everything is hosted on GitHub long since:
https://github.com/OpenNI
;)

On 2/27/14, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is OpenNI open source as the name implies? Is anyone taking over the
> project or hosting a mirror?
>
> We (Overthrow Robotics) have been working on our boxing robot with the plan
> of going commercial for two years. This is a major blow. Thanks Apple!

Re: confirmation on Primesense

Austin Hendrix
The current version of OpenNI is released under an Apache license. This means that as long as you have a copy of the source code, you should be legally allowed to use it. As far as I’m aware, they cannot rescind the license on released versions of the source. ( I am not a lawyer. If you need a legal guarantee, I would check with your company lawyer. )

The OpenNI group is still free to delete their github account and take their copy of the source code offline; they’re not obligated to continue hosting it.

The ROS deb repository hosts a copy of the OpenNI source and compiled binaries. Since these are hosted by OSRF I would expect them to continue to exist for the foreseeable future.

The bottom line is that if you’re relying on OpenNI, you should grab a copy of the source code for archival purposes.

-Austin

On Feb 27, 2014, at 9:13 AM, kamicc olo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't worry, everything is hosted on GitHub long since:
> https://github.com/OpenNI
> ;)
>
> On 2/27/14, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is OpenNI open source as the name implies? Is anyone taking over the
>> project or hosting a mirror?
>>
>> We (Overthrow Robotics) have been working on our boxing robot with the plan
>> of going commercial for two years. This is a major blow. Thanks Apple!

Re: Confirmation on primesense

William Woodall-3
What does that mean for PCL and ROS?

Nothing basically, we can continue to release the current version of openni2 for Xtion and other non-Kinect primesense sensors and I have found libfreenect to work far better than openni for Kinect v1. As the PCL developer's mailing list put it, there are many (probably thousands) of Xtion users in the perception community and that's a plenty large enough group of people to support maintenance of the project going forward.

as long as the license for openni's existing open-source code does not get changed.

AFAIK, there is nothing in their license (Apache 2.0) which they could use to prevent us from continuing to distribute or fork the existing code on Github.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Piyush <[hidden email]> wrote:
Xtions don't work with libfreenect (directly) or its ROS wrapper freenect_camera. However, I believe openni_camera should continue to work for the next 1-2 years, as long as the license for openni's existing open-source code does not get changed.

Piyush

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Arkapravo Bhaumik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reads like disaster ! I did purchase 2 ASUS Xtions, and found Xtion as more useful than Kinect -- first those went off the market, and now they also stop the OpenNI project.

I wonder if Xtions work with freenect ?? ! :-( ..... AFAIK, they don't !

William Woodall
ROS Development Team

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Ryan Gariepy

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 12:39 PM, William Woodall <[hidden email]> wrote:
What does that mean for PCL and ROS?

Nothing basically, we can continue to release the current version of openni2 for Xtion and other non-Kinect primesense sensors and I have found libfreenect to work far better than openni for Kinect v1. As the PCL developer's mailing list put it, there are many (probably thousands) of Xtion users in the perception community and that's a plenty large enough group of people to support maintenance of the project going forward.

as long as the license for openni's existing open-source code does not get changed.

AFAIK, there is nothing in their license (Apache 2.0) which they could use to prevent us from continuing to distribute or fork the existing code on Github.
This is my understanding as well.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Piyush <[hidden email]> wrote:
Xtions don't work with libfreenect (directly) or its ROS wrapper freenect_camera. However, I believe openni_camera should continue to work for the next 1-2 years, as long as the license for openni's existing open-source code does not get changed.

Piyush

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Arkapravo Bhaumik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reads like disaster ! I did purchase 2 ASUS Xtions, and found Xtion as more useful than Kinect -- first those went off the market, and now they also stop the OpenNI project.

I wonder if Xtions work with freenect ?? ! :-( ..... AFAIK, they don't !

William Woodall
ROS Development Team

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Nicolas Burrus
Nicolas Burrus from Occipital here (we make Structure Sensor:
http://structure.io).  Structure Sensor is indeed currently based
around a few PrimeSense-designed components, but it is a new
electrical design with many new features, and we manage the
manufacturing ourselves.  Of course, PrimeSense components won’t be
available to us forever, but we have worked with PrimeSense to make
sure we have everything needed to keep shipping Structure Sensors and
meet current and future orders.  It is crucial to our own success that
we keep innovating and making sure Structure Sensors are available for
a long time. Components may change, but the mission is the same.

Even though a lot of our work goes into providing iOS compatibility,
we did a lot in the electrical design to make it work great on other
platforms (We even made a special USB cable for other platforms since
Apple uses Lightning).  We also made it robot-friendly by putting 4
screw holes on the bottom of the sensor, and providing CAD to help
people make attachments.  We also plan to release a PCL grabber for
Structure Sensor, and to have open source drivers (not OpenNI) for
Linux, Android, Windows, and OS X. If anyone wants to help out with
those open source efforts, let me know!

We will also make a fork of OpenNI2 and already have basic OpenNI2
support for the sensor when used with the USB cable.  (So, you can
already use Structure Sensor with existing apps using OpenNI2,
including ROS. However, we didn’t test on Linux yet, but it should
work.)  Long term, if OpenNI development remains active, we will keep
Structure working with OpenNI.  If not, then we will focus our efforts
more on Structure Sensor open source drivers instead.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Arkapravo Bhaumik
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks ! but this entire episode leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Subduing a
> glorious technology in order to fill their coffers.
> ᐧ
>

> On 27 February 2014 22:44, Piyush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Xtions don't work with libfreenect (directly) or its ROS wrapper
>> freenect_camera. However, I believe openni_camera should continue to work
>> for the next 1-2 years, as long as the license for openni's existing
>> open-source code does not get changed.
>>
>> Piyush
>

> --
> Arkapravo Bhaumik
>

> http://mobotica.blogspot.in/p/head.html

Re: Confirmation on primesense

Peter Soetens-2
On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM, Nicolas Burrus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nicolas Burrus from Occipital here (we make Structure Sensor:
> http://structure.io).  Structure Sensor is indeed currently based
> around a few PrimeSense-designed components, but it is a new
> electrical design with many new features, and we manage the
> manufacturing ourselves.  Of course, PrimeSense components won’t be
> available to us forever, but we have worked with PrimeSense to make
> sure we have everything needed to keep shipping Structure Sensors and
> meet current and future orders.  It is crucial to our own success that
> we keep innovating and making sure Structure Sensors are available for
> a long time. Components may change, but the mission is the same.
>
> Even though a lot of our work goes into providing iOS compatibility,
> we did a lot in the electrical design to make it work great on other
> platforms (We even made a special USB cable for other platforms since
> Apple uses Lightning).  We also made it robot-friendly by putting 4
> screw holes on the bottom of the sensor, and providing CAD to help
> people make attachments.  We also plan to release a PCL grabber for
> Structure Sensor, and to have open source drivers (not OpenNI) for
> Linux, Android, Windows, and OS X. If anyone wants to help out with
> those open source efforts, let me know!
>
> We will also make a fork of OpenNI2 and already have basic OpenNI2
> support for the sensor when used with the USB cable.  (So, you can
> already use Structure Sensor with existing apps using OpenNI2,
> including ROS. However, we didn’t test on Linux yet, but it should
> work.)  Long term, if OpenNI development remains active, we will keep
> Structure working with OpenNI.  If not, then we will focus our efforts
> more on Structure Sensor open source drivers instead.

Until you guys get bought as well... or Apple changes their mind
patent- or component-wise.
This move of Apple has cast a great uncertainty on any Primesense
derived technology or company.

Nevertheless, I'm ordering one or two sensors. Primesense had the best
technology for that price...

Peter