[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

This thread is to plan the work to be done in the first couple of weeks of the 1.12 release cycle.

Because we are planning some significant changes to our development processes and environment for 1.12, we need to decide what will be done when to prevent problems such as PRs being made while we are moving packages around.

This is the list of things that need to be done, not necessarily in order. Please comment if you think I have missed one.

- Rename the organisation (dependent on us getting the name)
- Create new repositories according to the [repository discussion](https://discourse.ros.org/t/splitting-the-autoware-ai-repository-and-changing-the-organisation/8139)
- Move packages to new repositories
- Move packages to new layout
- Change permissions on organisation
- Change permissions on repository
- Add `.repos` file and switch to using `vcs` for installation
- Decided on features to include in 1.12 and add them to the milestone
- Clean up the branches to match the [new branching model](https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/wiki/Contributing-to-Autoware.AI#repository-guidelines)
- Fixing CI to work with the new repository layout

Here is my proposal for when we do each thing that needs to be done. Please comment and I will update the table as we discuss.

|Day|Things to do|
|---|---|
|Thursday, March 14|Release 1.11|
||Rename CPFL to Autoware (or Autoware.X if name not available)|
||Change permissions on organisation|
||Change permissions on repositories|
||Start of no-new-PRs period|
|Friday, March 15|Create new repositories for Autoware|
||Create `autoware.repos`|
||Change installation instructions to use `vcs`|
|Saturday, March 16||
|Sunday, March 17|Sleep|
|Monday, March 18|Remove `develop` branch; master becomes the main branch|
||Clean up other branches as possible|
||Start collecting features for 1.12|
|Tuesday, March 19|Start fixing CI|
|Wednesday, March 20||
|Thursday, March 21||
|Friday, March 22||
|Saturday, March 23||
|Sunday, March 24|Sleep more|
|Monday, March 25|Freeze list of features targetted for 1.12 (except for justified exceptions on a case-by-case basis)|
||Contributors start working on their own fork|
||Open for PRs again|
|Tuesday, March 26||
|Wednesday, March 27|Create CPFL organisation and move non-Autoware repositories there|
|Some time during the above|Fix CI to match new repositories|
|After|Move packages one at a time to new repositories (timing of each based on PRs for that package)|
||Move code between packages to improve package layout|

Ultimately, this work is going to be disruptive. My hope is that by doing it as soon as possible and in one chunk we can minimise that disruption.

I think the package reorganisation (into repositories, and code into packages) can be done over
time. We can do each package individually once we shift to `vcs` so there is no need to rush them
all in at once. This gives us some flexibility to work around pull requests.

An open question is what to do with existing PRs that won't be merged for 1.11. Do we ask the
person doing it to move to a fork and make a new PR now?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Here's my proposal for how we handle cleaning up the branches as part of changing the branching model.

1. If the branch is merged, delete it.
1. If the branch is for an unmerged pull request that is actively being developed:
   - Have the original submitter fork the repository and make a new PR from that branch in the fork.
   - Delete the branch in the upstream.
   - Reference the original PR from the new one so discussion is linked.
   - Close the original PR.
1. If the PR is for an unmerged PR that has not seen activity for some time:
   - Close the PR.
   - Ask the submitter to make a fork and do as for active PRs, above.
   - Schedule the branch for deletion in one month.
1. If the branch is not linked to a PR but is actively being developed:
   - Ask the person who is working on it to fork and work on the branch in their fork, then do a PR as per the new development process.
   - Delete the branch once the fork has been created.
1. If the branch is not linked to a PR and is not actively being developed, delete it. If we really want it the history will still be there so we can resurrect it later.

Please provide comments or alternative proposals!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

We have an update on the GitHub organisation name. Unfortunately, the person who registered it apparently *is* using it, just not in public so it appears to be unused.

We need to choose a new name. Options include:

- AutowareOrg (possibly taken, perhaps by @kfunaoka)
- AutowareAI (possibly taken, perhaps by @kfunaoka)
- AutowareAuto (possibly taken, perhaps by @kfunaoka)
- AutowareFoundation (grabbed by me)
- NotApollo

I'd like to choose one by the end of this week so I can get moving on the above tasks. Please vote for one of the above or make a new suggestion!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

AutowareAI +1
This would follow the same pattern as AutowareAuto.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

This organisation will ultimately host both Autoware.AI and Autoware.Auto.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

AutowareFoundation +1.

We can finally have AI and Auto in one organisation(GitHub) or group(GitLab).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

In that case
**AutowareFoundation**

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Also voting for **AutowareFoundation** so that it ties with the header in [https://www.autoware.org/](https://www.autoware.org/)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

The release of 1.11 has been delayed a week to March the 21st. So as not to get in the way of that release process, I'm delaying the work on moving repositories, cleaning permissions, etc. a week as well.

I will use the extra time to clean up the existing issues, since most of that does not have to wait for 1.11.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Merge features from these branches into the develop:
1. https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/tree/feature/pacmod_apex
1. https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/tree/experimental/peoria_internal_test or https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/tree/experimental/peoria

@aohsato or @shinpei0208 can you list more?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

`experimental/peoria` was created for our local testing but some merged branches are probably not needed to merge to master, e.g. `feature/deadreckoner`. You can easily divide these into some feature branches, actually `peoria` has only merge commits (`peoria_internal_test` has 1 direct commit for local change).

These branches were merged to `experimental/peoria`, we can pick from here for next release.
- New features
  - feature/rebuild_decision_maker
  - feature/point_pillars
  - feature/deadreckoner
- Update of current feautures
  - feature/signal_pole_grouping
  - fix/rtm_calibration_publisher
  - feature/fix_motion_predictor
  - feature/velocity_set_with_prediction
  - feature/velocity_interpolation
- For UI
  - feature/update_autoware_launcher
  - feature/point_pillar_launcher_plugin
  - feature/decision_maker_launcher_plugin
  - feature/autoware_launcher_plugins

I additionally want to merge `feature/improve_ymc_interface` and some features to v.1.12. Is the deadline issues until April 1?
https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/issues/1961

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] 1.12 development timeline

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

The April 1 deadline is for deciding the roadmap. The deadline for actually merging the features will be later; probably mid to late May. This will be decided next week.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/12) or reply to this email to respond.