[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

This topic is for discussion of the roadmap of the next few releases of Autoware.AI.

Here is some planned points to kick off discussion. I will update this list as the discussion progresses.

# 1.11

- Lots of new features already planned (see [the issue tracking the release](https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/issues/1813))
- Deprecate ROS Kinetic support

# 1.12

- Move to using vcstools for install
- Perception architecture re-design
- Support ROS Melodic
- Add the ros1_bridge as a dependency
- Amentifying some packages
- Package re-organisation
- Repository reorganisation
- Conversion of some packages to ROS 2

# 1.13

- Add Autoware.Auto as a dependency
- Remove ROS Kinetic support
- Amentifying some packages
- Package re-organisation
- Repository reorganisation
- Conversion of some packages to ROS 2

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="gbiggs, post:1, topic:7976"]
Move to using vcstools for install
[/quote]

[vcstools](https://github.com/vcstools/vcstools) or [vcstool](https://github.com/dirk-thomas/vcstool)?

[quote="gbiggs, post:1, topic:7976"]
Add the ros1_bridge as a dependency
[/quote]

We can't add the ros1_bridge as a dependency unless we also remove Kinetic. The bridge only supports Melodic.

For 1.11 we'll most likely also have to:

* Either remove `industrial_ci` or add support for `colcon` to it (unlikely)
* Remove `catkin_make` (deprecated in 1.10) from the scripts and announce `colcon` as the only supported build tool

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

The libymc_can library can't be used in Melodic because Ubuntu 18.04 requires PIC libraries, however we only have a binary and not the source code. We'd have to ask Yamaha (IIRC) to provide us with an updated binary.

https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/commit/37129146f0325b63a948f95674e2cdff954b55c8

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

It would be great to update documentation in 1.11 to include Gitlab CI testing requirements and also describe some basic integration testing, for example using a simulator.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="esteve, post:2, topic:7976"]

[vcstools](https://github.com/vcstools/vcstools) or [vcstool](https://github.com/dirk-thomas/vcstool)?

[/quote]

Sorry, vcstool obviously. Fixed and added a link.

[quote="esteve, post:2, topic:7976"]

We cant add the ros1_bridge as a dependency unless we also remove Kinetic. The bridge only supports Melodic.

[/quote]

Right, I forgot to shift that to 1.13 during our heated discussion of version numbers. Fixed!

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="esteve, post:2, topic:7976"]

For 1.11 well most likely also have to:

* Either remove `industrial_ci` or add support for `colcon` to it (unlikely)

[/quote]

Seems there is some progress [here](https://github.com/ros-industrial/industrial_ci/issues/333#issuecomment-465950562).

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="esteve, post:2, topic:7976"]

For 1.11 well most likely also have to:

* Either remove `industrial_ci` or add support for `colcon` to it (unlikely)

* Remove `catkin_make` (deprecated in 1.10) from the scripts and announce `colcon` as the only supported build tool

[/quote]

I've added these. Let me know if you want them added in a different way.

[quote="esteve, post:3, topic:7976"]

The libymc_can library cant be used in Melodic because Ubuntu 18.04 requires PIC libraries, however we only have a binary and not the source code. Wed have to ask Yamaha (IIRC) to provide us with an updated binary.

[/quote]

Added, although we need to discuss which route to take. Do you know who (at Tier IV, I guess) is responsible for getting the binary from Yamaha?

[quote="maximosipov, post:4, topic:7976, full:true"]

It would be great to update documentation in 1.11 to include Gitlab CI testing requirements and also describe some basic integration testing, for example using a simulator

[/quote]

I don't think that will happen for 1.11, but I've put it as an item for 1.12.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="gbiggs, post:7, topic:7976, full:true"]

[quote="esteve, post:3, topic:7976"]

The libymc_can library cant be used in Melodic because Ubuntu 18.04 requires PIC libraries, however we only have a binary and not the source code. Wed have to ask Yamaha (IIRC) to provide us with an updated binary.

[/quote]

Added, although we need to discuss which route to take. Do you know who (at Tier IV, I guess) is responsible for getting the binary from Yamaha?

[/quote]

@amc-nu has asked for the new binary

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

As part of the repository reorganisation, I think we shall revisit the branching model. I'll start a topic about it soonish with some options to kick off the discussion. Please don't start talking about it here - this is just a note that I'm adding it to the roadmap.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="sgermanserrano, post:8, topic:7976"]
@amc-nu has asked for the new binary
[/quote]

@amc-nu Any updates on this?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

I havent received it. Ill keep pushing.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="gbiggs, post:1, topic:7976"]
Repository reorganisation
[/quote]

This will be painful. What benefit do we expect from it? Same for "Package re-organisation"

[quote="gbiggs, post:1, topic:7976"]
Document CI and testing
[/quote]

Which testing :) ?

[quote="gbiggs, post:1, topic:7976"]
Remove ROS Kinetic support
[/quote]
Does this mean that we already have Ubuntu 18.04 support?

What you could also do:
1. remove some 200 out of 215 branches https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/branches
1. identify which of above branches have changes in them that never made it back into master. What features those branches hold that would be great to have in Autoware (e.g. ours has 4 way stop intersection handling and 10 other goodies). I know of at least 2 branches:
    1. https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/tree/feature/pacmod_apex
    1. https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/tree/experimental/peoria
    1. ...

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/12) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="Dejan_Pangercic, post:12, topic:7976"]

This will be painful. What benefit do we expect from it? Same for Package re-organisation

[/quote]

Discussion is happening [here](https://discourse.ros.org/t/splitting-the-autoware-ai-repository-and-changing-the-organisation/8139/30). There are trade-offs, but we do believe there are identifiable benefits.

[quote="Dejan_Pangercic, post:12, topic:7976"]

Which testing :slight_smile: ?

[/quote]

All of it? ;)

There's so much missing testing that pretty much any testing is welcome. I haven't had time to put thought into what testing in particular we want, but I think with the work being done on Autoware.Auto, for Autoware.AI I'm happy with unit testing and system integration tests.

[quote="Dejan_Pangercic, post:12, topic:7976"]

Does this mean that we already have Ubuntu 18.04 support?

[/quote]

We are probably going to have unofficial support for Melodic and Ubuntu 18.04 in 1.11. As I recall there are just some issues with Docker remaining, I'm not sure if those have been worked out yet. So having it officially supported in 1.12 is doable.

This is [already on my list](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166) to do for 1.12 as part of cleaning up the repository and issues. I'm going to pare it way way back in the first couple of weeks and then any remainders we will sort out over a longer period. The ideal is that we just have the `master` branch and a bunch of version tags; it remains to be seen how close we can get to that.

[quote="Dejan_Pangercic, post:12, topic:7976"]

identify which of above branches have changes in them that never made it back into master. What features those branches hold that would be great to have in Autoware (e.g. ours has 4 way stop intersection handling and 10 other goodies).

[/quote]

The creators of unmerged branches are [going to get a message](https://discourse.ros.org/t/1-12-development-timeline/8166/2) asking them to sort out their branches. For ones where the person has vanished, we can try to find someone else to take over updating and PRing that work.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/13) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

[quote="amc-nu, post:11, topic:7976, full:true"]

I havent received it. Ill keep pushing.

[/quote]

I think I saw a PR about this. Did you get a new binary?

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/14) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Sorry for late reply.

Yes. PR is here
https://github.com/CPFL/Autoware/pull/2133

@esteve can you check and integrate it in the melodic branch?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/autoware-ai-current-autoware-roadmap/7976/15) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Autoware] Autoware.AI (current Autoware) roadmap

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Thanks, I've removed its removal from the roadmap.

Here are some new features targetted for 1.12 that I've added:

- Map format improvements/support for Lanelet2
- MPC
- EKF localisation
- CARLA support
- 4-way stop intersection support