[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360 views in ros

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360 views in ros

chapulina via ros-users

Hi,

I noticed that more and more consmer-grade cameras with 360 FOV are available (Samnsung Gear 360, Nikon KeyMission, kodak pixpro 360, etc.)

Wonder if anyone successfully managed to do live streaming from these cameras in Ubuntu and to use them in robotic application.

Cheers

Davide

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-views-in-ros/1833/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

Hi,

Disclaimer : self-promotion ^^.

A few years back I was playing with a 360 imaging using two uEye camera UI-3240CP  IDS-Imaging each mounted with 185 FoV fish-eye lens.
You can find short videos [here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMrtydacsQ&list=PLNvEYwtozIQxCucfCjD_gbiH3vgZgUd4s).
Since then plenty of nice camera got to the market as you mentioned, unfortunately I didn't get to play with any of them.

Cheers.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

I'm not sure about those cameras, but Econ Systems makes a rig for the TX1 that supports 6 cameras to provide 360FOV.

https://www.e-consystems.com/multiple-csi-cameras-for-nvidia-jetson-tx2.asp

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

I can only talk about the Kodak PIXPRO SP360 (and 4K). They work as normal USB cameras. But connecting them via USB doesn't give them enough current to keep on forever (they drain more than they charge). Maybe fixable with some kind of powered USB cable?

My little work can be found here: https://github.com/uts-magic-lab/kodak_pixpro_sp360_ros

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

I have a short experience with SP360 (firmware version 1.0.5). I think it is important to highlight the differences of SP360 and SP360 4K since AFAIK only the SP360 4K version appears as V4L2 device.

The USB interface in SP360 serves only for storage access purposes. The only way I have found to stream the live image is setting the cam in WiFi mode and sniffing the MJPEG stream. Some instructions on that can be found [here](https://richard.milewski.us/blog/?page_id=47). Since this stream is actually meant for live preview on a mobile app, the quality and resolution is far from the cam is actually capable of. Although the cam has an HDMI output, it is only enabled in playback mode and does not provide live feed.

The SP360 4K has a webcam functionality and enables live stream to HDMI (now the external capture cards are also an option).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

does anyone know if the [Kodak Orbit 4k](https://kodakpixpro.com/Americas/cameras/vrcamera/orbit3604k/) is compatible with the ROS this node or at least with Linux?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

I think @veiko was being too modest. Not only did he get the Kodak 360 camera streaming, he wrote RViz plugins to blend and display a spherical image (requires 2 cameras, ~1 hemisphere each) and  use a VR headset.

Spherical image:
[https://github.com/UTNuclearRoboticsPublic/rviz_textured_sphere](https://github.com/UTNuclearRoboticsPublic/rviz_textured_sphere)

VR:
[https://github.com/UTNuclearRoboticsPublic/rviz_plugin_osvr](https://github.com/UTNuclearRoboticsPublic/rviz_plugin_osvr)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

Hi, we are using [RICOH Theta S](https://theta360.com/ja/about/theta/s.html).
We can use [libuvc_camera](http://wiki.ros.org/libuvc_camera) package to obtain image via USB streaming.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

Hi!

Is the RICOH Theta S working well with the UVC driver on Linux?
We bought a RICOH Theta V only to realize that it is using the UVC1.5 driver which is not supported. I can't seem to find any other confirmation besides your post about the compatibility of the "S" model, using UVC1.1, and it would be great if you can confirm that it is working fine before we buy another camera :slight_smile:
Thanks!!!!!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

Hi,

We are using RICOH Theta S with libuvc_camera, using UVC1.1 (Motion Jpeg mode).  The frame is a  combined 1280x720 image at 14fps. I think you can use other package like gscam or usb_cam.

I didn't know about RICOH Theta V, but do you mean you cannot make Theta V work with current driver and packages? I expected V model is upper compatible to Theta S... but checking the spec sheet now, it seems support only H264 streaming... (it means we need UVC1.5 or higher, which is not supported by libuvc :slightly_frowning_face:)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

Thank you for the confirmation! We will go ahead with the S model then.

I will check periodically what the status of support for uvc1.5 is and post it here when I can make the V model work. I assumed compatibility as well, but they dropped support for 1.1, which is my bad, I should have checked before.

I seriously doubt my boss will allow me to allocate time to develop the driver, but if it happens I will post the news here.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Cameras with 360º FoV in ROS

chapulina via ros-users

It's wonderful if we can use UVC1.5 and H.264 encoding. I'm waiting for good news!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cameras-with-360-fov-in-ros/1833/12) or reply to this email to respond.