Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial, and ROS Kinetic

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial, and ROS Kinetic

flobotics robotics via ros-users

I did not attempt the alternate image because of the statement at the end of the thread ...
> Shuhao (shuhao) wrote on 2017-02-13: #41
> The images listed on ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker and the one listed on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi is exactly the same. The same issue should exist on both systems.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/information-for-those-using-raspberry-pi-ubuntu-xenial-and-ros-kinetic/1205/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial, and ROS Kinetic

flobotics robotics via ros-users

The non-server ubuntu-pi-flavor-maker builds are built using a different process, and don't seem to have this issue. They come with rpi-update and can easily run the RPi 'mainline' kernel (not the Ubuntu fork).

I have been using lubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-armhf-raspberry-pi.img.xz with no issues.

Rohan

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/information-for-those-using-raspberry-pi-ubuntu-xenial-and-ros-kinetic/1205/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial, and ROS Kinetic

flobotics robotics via ros-users

Today I am getting undiagnosed issues so I will try using the desktop image and then disable the GUI to have a facsimile of a server image.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/information-for-those-using-raspberry-pi-ubuntu-xenial-and-ros-kinetic/1205/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Information for those using Raspberry Pi, Ubuntu Xenial, and ROS Kinetic

flobotics robotics via ros-users

[quote="rohbotics, post:4, topic:1205"]
The non-server ubuntu-pi-flavor-maker builds are built using a different process, and don't seem to have this issue.[/quote]

I can confirm. I have a functioning instance of my LoCoRo project. I started with the Lubuntu image from ubuntu-pi-flavor-maker and disabled LXDE. Then treated like an Ubuntu server image. Everything worked as expected.

The Ubuntu Bugs thread has demonstrated to me that "official Ubuntu support" for the Raspberry Pi is dubious at present and has an uncertain future. When the April drop of 17.04 occurs, things should be clearer one way or another.

For ROS, it would be best for the community if it supported buildfarm installable packages for a "supported Raspberry Pi operating system". This translates to Raspbian. I've been trying to promote Ubuntu but I have to concede, its not an ideal situation for ROS.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/information-for-those-using-raspberry-pi-ubuntu-xenial-and-ros-kinetic/1205/6) or reply to this email to respond.