Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Re: Indigo on Raspberry PI 3

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Re: Indigo on Raspberry PI 3

Procópio Stein via ros-users

(old thread but some additional background)

The RPi 3 CPU core was picked because it's a great 32 bit processor (and  happens to also work in 64bit mode). That said, the 1GB of RAM and the rate at which the hardware is being iterated, there has not been much movement in the Linux community to put effort into an arm64 build.

I understand the interesting in ROS on Raspbian. That said, we do have a workaround now that Ubuntu Xenial (with and without GUI) is available and supports the RPi3 hardware well.

It does leave limited options for RPi-like hardware which has focused on Raspbian Jessie as their prefered OS.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/re-indigo-on-raspberry-pi-3/141/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Re: Indigo on Raspberry PI 3

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Just adding on, as you mentioned Xenial images, Here is a link to a bunch of Ubuntu 16.04 Pi2/3 images, offering a variety of desktop and non desktop variants.

https://ubuntu-pi-flavour-maker.org/download/

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/re-indigo-on-raspberry-pi-3/141/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Embedded] Re: Indigo on Raspberry PI 3

Procópio Stein via ros-users

[quote="suforeman, post:6, topic:141"]
The RPi 3 CPU core was picked because it's a great 32 bit processor (and  happens to also work in 64bit mode). That said, the 1GB of RAM and the rate at which the hardware is being iterated, there has not been much movement in the Linux community to put effort into an arm64 build
[/quote]

So I've got my pi 3 running in 64 bit mode with Gentoo. I'm slowly updating ROS  ebuilds to work on arm64, but have not done them all yet or tested ROS compilation on the architecture (because I don't want to mess up my portage tree, as getting 64 bit mode was quite a hassle).

That said, I might attempt a 64 bit ROS Gentoo image, and could upload it for everyone if there is demand for it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/re-indigo-on-raspberry-pi-3/141/14) or reply to this email to respond.