[Discourse.ros.org] From 360 degree sparse point cloud (lidar) (PointCloud2 msg) to depth image?

[Discourse.ros.org] From 360 degree sparse point cloud (lidar) (PointCloud2 msg) to depth image?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Hey,
Is there any ROS package for it already? Or how would you approach this?

Cheers

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/from-360-degree-sparse-point-cloud-lidar-pointcloud2-msg-to-depth-image/3318/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] From 360 degree sparse point cloud (lidar) (PointCloud2 msg) to depth image?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Some time ago I have been playing with this topic, converting pointclouds from a Velodyne to range-images using PCL.
You can find some code [here (pointcloud_to_rangeimage)](https://github.com/artivis/pointcloud_to_rangeimage) to get you started.
Disclaimer : It requires some extra work and polishing.

Cheers.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/from-360-degree-sparse-point-cloud-lidar-pointcloud2-msg-to-depth-image/3318/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] From 360 degree sparse point cloud (lidar) (PointCloud2 msg) to depth image?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Hey Jeremie. Thanks for your helpful reply. I'm using a VLP16 (i saw the config file for a Velodyne 16 in the devel branch). Do you have by any chance a before/after shot of the latest version? I think it would be quite helpful to see what the output would look like :slight_smile:

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/from-360-degree-sparse-point-cloud-lidar-pointcloud2-msg-to-depth-image/3318/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] From 360 degree sparse point cloud (lidar) (PointCloud2 msg) to depth image?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

@tbb It looks like you got a pointer to a package that can help you.

However going forward I'd like to request that you follow [our guidelines](http://wiki.ros.org/Support) and ask questions on http://answers.ros.org . ROS Discourse is for news and general interest discussions.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/from-360-degree-sparse-point-cloud-lidar-pointcloud2-msg-to-depth-image/3318/4) or reply to this email to respond.