Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

All,

I'm working on pulling in the other version of Gazebo to the ros-overlay for Gentoo.

I have an open question: would people prefer to emerge specific version of gazebo, or just have one ebuild?

e.g. To emerge Gazebo 8, you'd emerge "gazebo8" instead of just emerge "gazebo".

Thoughts?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hello @allenh1:

Thanks for your efforts of maintaining Gazebo in Gentoo. According to the [information in the Gazebo website](http://gazebosim.org/#status), currently gazebo7 and gazebo8 are supported.

I think that one of the valid points you can consider to support one or more versions of Gazebo ebuilds in the ros-overlay is how many ROS versions you want to support in that overlay: `gazebo7` is the version supported in ROS Kinetic and `gazebo8` is the one used in ROS Lunar. This can help Gentoo users to have the same simulator experience than the users on Ubuntu/Debian.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

@jrivero those are some good points you make there. I suppose it doesn't make much sense to support gazebo pre 7.0.0.

Maybe it would be best to have a `gazebo-kinetic` and `gazebo-lunar` ebuild (along with the proper versioning, of course).

Perhaps this should be extended to other packages in the repo?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

[quote="allenh1, post:3, topic:1786"]
Maybe it would be best to have a gazebo-kinetic and gazebo-lunar ebuild (along with the proper versioning, of course).
[/quote]

I would not recommend using the ROS distros as identifiers for the gazebo packages: they are both independent projects with their own names and versions, it is probably more consistent to keep the naming/versioning scheme of both. I, as a gazebo user/dev, would be surprised to see gazebo versions named with ROS release names. It should be easier to create `gazebo7`and `gazebo8` and make ebuilds to depend on the correct version or create a `virtual` named `gazebo` (it should make maintenance more easy and I have some valid use cases where you can use gazebo7 or gazebo8 with the same version of ROS)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Ok, that sounds good. Thank you for the input!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Speaking as a very-very-long-time Gentoo user, I would prefer to see the package named following the Gentoo conventions. So it should be called "gazebo", there should be versions available for 7 and 8 (and minor/patch releases as appropriate), and it should be slotted so that a user can have one version 7 and one version 8 installed simultaneously.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

[quote="gbiggs, post:6, topic:1786"]
So it should be called "gazebo", there should be versions available for 7 and 8 (and minor/patch releases as appropriate)
[/quote]

Agree. +1 for using the slots.

[quote="gbiggs, post:6, topic:1786"]
it should be slotted so that a user can have one version 7 and one version 8 installed simultaneously.
[/quote]

This would require patching since upstream does not implement the option of having two versions installed at the same time and some files are going to use the same names.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Yes, patching would be required, but that is fairly common for slotted ebuilds. I think that only the installation target names would need patching. It might alternatively be possible to write the ebuild so that it instructs Gazebo to install to a known directory based on version and then make symbolic links from the `/usr/lib` etc. locations using version-named files to the actual files.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

[quote="gbiggs, post:8, topic:1786"]
It might alternatively be possible to write the ebuild so that it instructs Gazebo to install to a known directory based on version and then make symbolic links from the /usr/lib etc. locations using version-named files to the actual files.
[/quote]

I like that a lot, actually. I think this would be the best way.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Ok, so there is an update here...

https://discourse.ros.org/t/lunar-to-target-gazebo-7

Apparently, Gazebo 8 will not be ready for Lunar. So I suppose we should just keep things where they are currently.

Moreover, I am starting my internship at OSRF on Monday (May 22nd) and talking with @tfoote about working on a better solution to using ROS on Gentoo than the ROS overlay approach I am doing currently.

The idea is to generate ebuilds from the ROS buildfarm for all bloom-released packages.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Gazebo on Gentoo

Procópio Stein via ros-users

That sounds like an awesome idea. You should be able to create an eclass to handle catkin packages and builds each one using catkin_make_isolated.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/gazebo-on-gentoo/1786/11) or reply to this email to respond.