[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

I have a small robot (turtlebot3) with a Lidar. For aa demonstration I would like to process the data coming from the lira in the following way:

1) Pay attention only to a range of angles (e.g. -15 degrees to +15 degrees)
2) Filter it into
  a) distance to obstacle
  b) rate of change of a)
  c) rate of change of b)

I am assuming that this is elementary and there are nodes/libraries in ROS that do just this. I am not asking for code but pointers to where to look and what to read. Thanks for your help!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

Might get more responses if you post this on [ROS answers](https://answers.ros.org/questions/)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

Yeah the mysteries of what folks accept here vs. ros answers. It's a constant thing.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

Please read the [Support guidelines](http://wiki.ros.org/Support) for what to post here versus answers.ros.org.

At the most simple a question should go on answers.ros.org. So this would be more appropriate on answers.ros.org as it's a question.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

ROS has a wrapper (http://wiki.ros.org/pcl) for Point Cloud Library (http://pointclouds.org) which has a lot of functionality to process lidar data. To cut out certain region from PointCloud you may want to take a look at PassThrough filter (http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/passthrough.php).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

Interesting, I will dig into that. Thanks!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

I tried it on answers and didn't get any answers. Here I did get a couple of useful ones. So if "questions" are supposed to go onto answers.ros.org then discourse is only for announcements and declarations and actually not for any *discourse*.

I'm only being somewhat ironic. I thought of answers for geeky detailed questions about ROS (like stack overflow) and discourse for more conceptual, theoretical, and general questions. This is I guess a misunderstanding.

For example I had such a general question: "If I want to process the liar data so that I can find out a good current estimate of the closet obstacle plus its rate of change,  should I be learning about Kaman filters or is that the wrong kind of processing?" I would have posted that question here. But I guess I will try somewhere else, right?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Converting raw Lidar data to something more useful

Tully Foote via ros-users

Actually I think that particular non-ROS-specific question would probably get answered quickest on the [robotics stack exchange](https://robotics.stackexchange.com/).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/converting-raw-lidar-data-to-something-more-useful/5533/8) or reply to this email to respond.