[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

We're happy to announce a new portal to explore and share ROS robots. http://robots.ros.org

This is a replacement for the wiki page http://wiki.ros.org/Robots as a portal for discovery of ROS robots and hardware components but should not replace either the technical documentation on the wiki, or the robots own website or homepage.

We've been [working](https://discourse.ros.org/t/call-for-contributors-for-new-robots-portal/805) on this in the background for a while. And the impetus to make the switch has come from our server metrics showing that the previous page http://wiki.ros.org/Robots was causing a large fraction of our server load on the wiki, and contributing to ongoing load based [service outages](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628?u=tfoote).

I want to give a very special thanks to @sloretz for helping migrate much of the content from the wiki into the site.

Of course this is envisioned as a site built on community contributions like the wiki has been already. It's hosted on Github Pages and the source is here: https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/robots.ros.org and there's a guide to contributing here: http://robots.ros.org/contributing/

The new site is much faster while giving more information and has opportunities to add [new features](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/robots.ros.org/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aenhancement) in the future. As always contributions are appreciated for both content or improved infrastructure.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-ros-robots-website-robots-ros-org/1826/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

The new tag-based search is really great.

I noticed there is no link to a Universal Robot ROS package like https://github.com/ros-industrial/universal_robot or https://github.com/ThomasTimm/ur_modern_driver

Are these drivers considered unstable/experimental and therefore not listed?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-ros-robots-website-robots-ros-org/1826/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

Yaskawa Motoman drivers, e.g. http://wiki.ros.org/motoman_driver (https://github.com/ros-industrial/motoman) seem also to be missing.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-ros-robots-website-robots-ros-org/1826/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

[quote="andreaskoepf, post:2, topic:1826, full:true"]
The new tag-based search is really great.

I noticed there is no link to a Universal Robot ROS package like https://github.com/ros-industrial/universal_robot or https://github.com/ThomasTimm/ur_modern_driver

Are these drivers considered unstable/experimental and therefore not listed?
[/quote]

I'm glad you like it.

In our porting process we skipped any listing that had fewer than 3 sentences on their wiki page. As the Universal Robot page had a [broken link](http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/universal_robot) to a non-existant Portal page in the old Robots page so it was skipped when we ported. A contribution for that would be great.

[quote="andreaskoepf, post:3, topic:1826, full:true"]
Yaskawa Motoman drivers, e.g. http://wiki.ros.org/motoman_driver (https://github.com/ros-industrial/motoman) seem also to be missing.
[/quote]

Likewise this had a [broken link](http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/motoman) listed so it was skipped. A contribution for this would also be great.

When adding the robots to robots.ros.org it's also recommended that a standard developer entry point be added at `http://wiki.ros.org/Robots/<RobotName>` In this location for things like the Univeral Robot there could be references to the two different available drivers etc.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-ros-robots-website-robots-ros-org/1826/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New ROS Robots website: robots.ros.org

[quote="Natalia, post:5, topic:1826"]
Could we add Pepper and Romeo robots?
http://wiki.ros.org/romeo
http://wiki.ros.org/pepper
[/quote]

That would be great. Note that Pepper is [already there](http://robots.ros.org/pepper/) but I would encourage you to maybe add an embedded video or some more pictures and a fuller description to make the page more engaging as well as fill in some more tags. And the Romeo would also be a great addition as well.

The [Contribution Guide](http://robots.ros.org/contributing/) explains how to propose changes.

And to anyone else who has a ROS robot that's not currently there. Please put together a PR for adding it as well. This is a site for community and by the community, we simply seeded it from the previous wiki content to bootstrap it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-ros-robots-website-robots-ros-org/1826/6) or reply to this email to respond.