Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Software Release Announcements

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Software Release Announcements

flobotics robotics via ros-users

@tfoote could we have a yea or nay on the creation of a Software Release Announcements category? Or whatever it takes to decide one way or another on the creation of a new category?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/26) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Software Release Announcements

flobotics robotics via ros-users

@Daniel_Stonier How about we just explicitly add that to the description of General and ask people to announce there with a tag "release". This is the same as previously announcing it to ros-users.

 I'd rather not segregate it away until it becomes overwhelming to avoid fragmentation and decision paralysis for people posting.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/28) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Software Release Announcements

flobotics robotics via ros-users

I guess I'm fine with that. It's at least a place/convention we can encourage and not a topic that needs to be 'walled off' into an isolated forum. It hopefully will not have the ros-users problem too - there should be no discouragement from posting to it as discussed above.

My primary issue is in discovering/browsing for them.  Tracking and discussing community software releases is such a core activity I would have liked all my devs engaging in. However, the current layout is very category-centric. The landing page displays a category based listing, the top banner does not have a tags drop down like at [https://try.discourse.org/](https://try.discourse.org/). Knowing the tag convention and then searching for a tag is not a process I think many of them would have done without laying it down for them. Shifting what should be one of the most common (or encouraged to be)  activities on discourse to a tag based approach when the site is mostly category-centric is a little clunky.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/29) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Software Release Announcements

flobotics robotics via ros-users

If everyone's ok with this, I'll move forward with an email to ros-users advocating posting in General with the release tag tomorrow. Please post if you have any different thoughts before then!

@tfoote can we get a Tags dropdown on the discourse landing page like at https://try.discourse.org/?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/30) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Software Release Announcements

flobotics robotics via ros-users

[quote="Daniel_Stonier, post:30, topic:1203"]
@tfoote can we get a Tags dropdown on the discourse landing page like at https://try.discourse.org/? If it's the discourse-tagging plugin you're using, instructions are here - Enable Tags menu/filter. If it's part of the newer versions of discourse, probably the instructions are similar.
[/quote]

I found the tag dropdown option and have turned it on. You should see it at the top of all listings now.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-software-release-announcements/1203/31) or reply to this email to respond.