[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

Hello everyone,
ROS Melodic promises to be a big release.  Because of that, we're starting the process for the release a bit early this time.

A proposal for the minimum requirements and targeted architectures (aka REP3) is available [here](https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/rep/pull/139).  This release will potentially have some larger changes in it (move to OpenCV 3.4, the use of C++11 and newer in public APIs, etc).  We welcome feedback on that draft proposal from developers, maintainers, and any other interested parties.

Your friendly ROS release team

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

> use of C++11 and newer in public APIs

Since this might be misleading: this does not imply that existing API in ROS code packages changes to use C++11 types (isntead of e.g. boost types) since that would break compatibility and require every package to update.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

[quote="clalancette, post:1, topic:3087"]
the use of C++11 in public APIs
[/quote]

To clarify: this was already possible in Kinetic and Lunar. The restriction so far was the possibility to use C++11 features and types in the packages part of desktop-full. The proposal in this REP is to lift that restriction.

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:2, topic:3087"]
Since this might be misleading: this does not imply that existing API in ROS code packages changes to use C++11 types (isntead of e.g. boost types) since that would break compatibility and require every package to update.
[/quote]

I think that's the part open to discussion on this REP. It doesnt _imply_ a change of API to use C++11 types but doesn't _prevent_ it as far as I understand. My reading is that people could change their API as long as they make sure to provide a way for downstream packages to migrate (typedef or PR for packages impacted)

[quote="clalancette, post:1, topic:3087"]
the use of C++11 and newer
[/quote]
The REP only speaks about C++11, there is no mention of _newer_ standards. @clalancette could you clarify which newer standards are considered ? should this be reflected on the REP proposal ?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

[quote="marguedas, post:3, topic:3087"]
The REP only speaks about C++11, there is no mention of newer standards. @clalancette could you clarify which newer standards are considered ? should this be reflected on the REP proposal ?
[/quote]

Sorry, I guess this should only be for C++11 for now.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

What is the current plan for required adoption of Python 3? The support period for Melodic is ~3 years past the [end-of-life for Python 2](https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] REP3 proposal for Melodic Morenia

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

As of March, [Python devs didn't know](https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2017-March/147660.html) if 2.7 would be part of the main, supported Ubuntu 18.04 distribution.  Software in this category is [supported for the life of the distribution](https://askubuntu.com/a/58365/508752), even if upstream devs stop maintaining it.  It looks like [the python2.7 package for bionic](https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/python2.7) is in main, so theoretically Ubuntu is responsible for continued maintenence until 2023.

Ubuntu is being proactive by shipping [only Python 3 by default in 18.04](https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Python), and I expect this will be the last Ubuntu LTS that officially supports Python 2.7.

I haven't read up on the Debian or Fedora Python situations, but I would be surprised if there weren't at least community-supported packages for those distros for the life of Melodic Morenia.

To maybe better answer your question, the migration wiki mentions that [ROS2 only supports Python 3](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/Migration-Guide#pure-python-package).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rep3-proposal-for-melodic-morenia/3087/6) or reply to this email to respond.