[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

12

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

ROSCon 2018 will be happening in Madrid in September. The call for proposals [has been posted](https://roscon.ros.org/2018/#call-for-proposals). The deadline is on July 3rd, now just under a month away! Our first submissions have started coming in. If youd like to propose a talk but arent sure what to talk about this thread is for you.

Talking at ROSCon can be very rewarding way to share your expertise and knowledge with the greater community. However, putting in a proposal to ROSCon can sometimes be intimidating because you dont know if there are people in the community who are interested in what youre doing.

To that end Id like to kick off a brainstorming thread here on topics that people would like to see presented at ROSCon. Even if you wont be able to make it to ROSCon feel free to suggest a topic: we record all videos and post them online. All of the previous years talks are linked to from the programs ([2017](https://roscon.ros.org/2017/#program), [2016](https://roscon.ros.org/2016/#program), [2015](https://roscon.ros.org/2015/#program), [2014](https://roscon.ros.org/2014/program/), [2013](https://roscon.ros.org/2013/program/), [2012](https://roscon.ros.org/2012/schedule/)). With people sharing topics that they would like to learn more about I hope their posts here will inspire more people to submit talks. We have a large and diverse community and want everyone to consider sharing what theyre working on.

Note that this thread is meant to be inspiration for submissions and will not be part of the Program Committees review process.

**Please reply to this thread to share the sort of talk that youd like to see someone present at ROSCon this September.**

Guidelines:

* This is a brainstorming session.

  * Be positive.

  * There are no wrong answers. Please dont critique others responses, but build upon them.

* Keep the ideas high level.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I'd like to see a short talk from Open Robotics about the development process for ROS (in particular ROS 2) as  a way to introduce people to how to participate in development, whether that be through commenting on design discussions, making bug reports, fixing bugs, or adding features.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

+1 That would be nice.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I want to know
1.how to localize robot indoor accurately except UWB
2.how to monitor the network normally avoid robot is out of online , and out of control
3.robot hardware is so boring , if there any simple way to construct a robot

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

Current ROS Navigation stack status summary:
* What's the recommended basic configuration for a new robot nowadays.
* What alternative pieces we have (move_base_flex hello!) (and their purpose/advantages)?
* What alternative global planners are available?
* What alternative local planners are available?
* What alternative localization packages are available?
* What low level controllers are available (for different kind of robot bases)?
* Status for ROS 2.

Current ROS Manipulation stack status summary:
* What's the recommended basic configuration for a new robot nowadays?
* What alternative packages we have for it?
* What planners are available (and what are they good for?)?
* How to move an arm in cartesian space?
* What whole body control stacks are available?
* How to deal with multiple arms?
* How to deal with exchanging end effectors?
* What pick-and-place pipelines are available?

How to prototype quickly some ROS package? (I could talk about how I do it if people are interested...)
* How to glue together ROS nodes quickly (I have a few tricks).
* Taking advantage of rqt tools, Rviz, dynamic reconfigure, params, launchfiles, rosbag...
* What does it take to convert it from a quick-and-dirty prototype to an actual ROS package expected to be used by all the community? (correct installation, roslaunch, examples, tests...).
* From my dirty script in my home folder to a released ROS package in multiple ros distros.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I'd be interested in seeing an MVP demo of a real application in ROS2 (more than basic pub/sub), and explaining some of the preconfigured options available or what's coming in the near future.

Then explaining areas where help is requested so we can know what areas people are looking for outside contributors to help with specifically.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

Many companies creating autonomous robots for unstructured environments are realizing that its impossible to deal with all the edge cases upfront, so they are opting to create remote operating centers where the robot asks for help, and a remote operator then remotes in to deal with the edge case. I'd be very interested on a talk on how this can be done with ROS.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

How about of AI, anyone interested in hearing a bit more of how AI techniques are being used together with ROS and Gazebo?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I want to hear more about using Ros with deep learning and machine learning focussing on application such as navigation

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

Another suggestion: deployment approaches for ROS applications in commercial *and* research settings that are a little bigger than one or two robots. Containerisation, network management, runtime testing, internal buildfarms, quality assurance processes, telemetry, etc.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

How about of art, many modern artists want to make autonomous system or robot to show what they thought. Talking about experiences co-working with them might be a interesting story and unique.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I'd like to hear an overview about testing: how to quick-start, what options are available, tips etc. - [AFAI googled](https://www.google.com/search?q=roscon+program+test&oq=roscon+program+test) there has been no dedicated talk about testing in previous ROSCon occurrences. This kind of talk will help esp. new hires and people with less experience in testing in ROS and/or general development.

Some topics I can think of off the top of my skull. Some of these may be based on my misunderstanding / lack of understanding (I myself need the overview :))

- Integration of [PyTest](https://docs.pytest.org/en/latest/), newer testing framework in Python that is arguably? [favored over `unittest`](https://www.slant.co/versus/9148/9149/~unittest_vs_pytest), was [recently announced](https://discourse.ros.org/t/pytest-support-for-ros-rostest/4990/4) by @machinekoder.
- How to start writing tests.
  - Recently [wiki page of testing was overhauled](https://discourse.ros.org/t/revised-tutorial-on-automatic-testing-of-ros-code-packages-and-applications/4292) by @wasowski.
  - There are ways to write tests without writing codes in e.g. C++/Python.
    - [Re-usable test nodes](http://wiki.ros.org/rostest/Nodes).
    - [roslaunch-check](http://wiki.ros.org/roslaunch/Commandline%20Tools#roslaunch-check).
- Infra structure improvement discussion?
  - Documentation about testing is still distributed.
    - Re-visit test-{first/driven} approach.
      - There is [a slide](http://lists.ros.org/pipermail/ros-users/2014-March/068370.html) shared back in 2014. The content is not integrated into ros.org (i.e. the content in this slide might be forgotten sadly).
  - PyTest integration to core library, as mentioned above.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/12) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I would like to here more about ROS-Control concept in detail. Especially the basic concepts of it and how for example create standard control system from _Sensor, Controller and Actor_.

Currently are _Sensors and Actors_ always part of the RobotHW which is in some cases very cumbersome to use. This is just a point I thought about a lot lately and did get to any sensible solution.

P.S. I am even eagar to research it myself until the presentation, but as of today my knowledge does not go deep enough.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/13) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

[quote="gavanderhoorn, post:10, topic:5076, full:true"]
Another suggestion: deployment approaches for ROS applications in commercial *and* research settings that are a little bigger than one or two robots. Containerisation, network management, runtime testing, internal buildfarms, quality assurance processes, telemetry, etc.
[/quote]

I would be interested in continuous integration/deployment (including testing) based on Kubernetes and its infrastructure :)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/14) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

This is perhaps a little last minute, but I've been back and forth between submitting a proposal for a few weeks now.

I've been working with testing in ROS, and have been tinkering with creating a new package to abstract unit and integration tests a bit further. In my mind, the package would allow you to simply define subs/pubs and test a given set of nodes to verify their output. Take for example a simple node that does filtering on command input data, you would provide example input to the node, and check for expected output. It would theoretically also be able to take rosbags as an input.

Would a talk briefing over the state of testing, and then going over this sort of package be valuable? I know I can get something working by then, but whether it's a full on package or work in progress would to be seen.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/15) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

I have been writing a lot of rostests and gtests lately and would be very interested in this project/proposal.  Also please keep me informed about the project, I would love to contribute if it makes sense.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/16) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

Good to hear, and will do! We fully intend to open source it early on and welcome contributions.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/17) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

@vmayoral: I just released [TensorSwarm](https://github.com/TensorSwarm/TensorSwarm) which is a reinforcement learning framework for mobile robot swarms. If I am lucky you will get a presentation of the tool at Roscon.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/18) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

Off-topic, but perhaps [floweisshardt/atf](https://github.com/floweisshardt/atf) fits here ([ipa-jfh/training_atf](https://github.com/ipa-jfh/training_atf)).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/19) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] ROSCon 2018 Talk Idea Brainstorm

Thilo Zimmermann via ros-users

Continuing the testing and debugging theme, here's the demo video in my proposed talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6ggFehems

The talk is about using Mozilla rr for reversible debugging, coupled with some tricks to make debugging ROS nodes easier by republishing messages from inside the replayed process.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/roscon-2018-talk-idea-brainstorm/5076/20) or reply to this email to respond.

12