[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

Dear ROS community,

Many of you are running Raspberry Pi's for your robots.  Pi's are great on their own, but they are even better with the camera module, so we are proud to announce our ROS node for the Raspberry Pi camera module here: https://github.com/UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node.

We have tested this node on both the 4.1 and 4.4 kernels from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, using an Ubuntu Image, but it should work with ROS on Raspbian as well. We have used both the original (5MP) and the newer (8MP) cameras with this node.

Some features of raspicam_node:
* Dynamic reconfigure support for camera parameters
* Fixed shutter_speed support for doing short or long exposures
* Premade calibration files for Camera V1 and V2
* Publishing compressed images using hardware encoder

Currently binary releases are not available, but we are investigating how we could provide these. https://discourse.ros.org/t/binary-release-of-raspicam-node/1387

Contributions and Bug Reports through Github Pull Requests and Issues are encouraged.

Rohan

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

Binary builds are now available!
You can install the debs from https://packages.ubiquityrobotics.com/

They are built for Ubuntu 16.04 running on the Pi 3 (haven't tested on Pi 2).

To install add our apt repository with the instructions in the link above, then run `sudo apt install ros-kinetic-raspicam-node`.

Rohan

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Hey Rohan, How about an easy way to sample the data, for example  a 300 by 200 10 fps raw image?  Can we:

rosrun raspicam raspicam_node _width:=300 _height=200 _framerate:=10

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Rohan, useful packkage! could you please comment on its use, or possible future release of  a RasPi Ubuntu-Mate Kinetic Turtlebot 3 version, source or binary?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

@anfederman you can edit the launch file to sample down to the level you need. Example: https://github.com/UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node/blob/indigo/launch/camerav2_1280x960.launch

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

@Red24dog If you are running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 with kinetic, both the source and binary builds from [here](https://packages.ubiquityrobotics.com/) should work.

If they don't please open an issue on the github repo.
https://github.com/UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Great node! Any quick way to publish raw images instead of compressed?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Thanks!

We are using the hardware JPEG compression available in the Pi, so getting both compressed and uncompressed images is tricky. Because of this, we only publish the compressed image so that we can continue to take advantage of the hardware.

If you need raw images, for now you will have to run a separate decompression node like so
`rosrun image_transport republish compressed in:=/raspicam_node/image raw out:=/raspicam_node/image` in order to get raw images. Of course these raw images will have the same compression artifacts as the raw image.

If that is not enough for you, please open an issue on you github repo above, and we will try to support your use case.

Rohan

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Rohan, red245dog . Got around to installing on my Turtlebot3 Raspberry pi3/ubuntu -mate 16.04 (Xenial). Following the catkin source installation instructions got this error message
Unable to locate package libraspberrypi-dev
ERROR: the following rosdeps failed to install
  apt: command [sudo -H apt-get install -y libraspberrypi-dev] failed.

Also I couldn't locate the dep ros-kinetic-raspicam-node using apt install or synaptic
Could you assist me?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

check this, there is a real-time video%audio  by CrazyPi Kit
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crazypi/crazypi-the-maker-board-designed-for-diy-robot-mak

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Raspberry Pi Camera Node

Hi again---good news. I took another go at following the source catkin installation to my Raspberry Pi/Ubuntu-Mate/ROS Kinetic from the UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node github.com. All installed smoothly and the V2 camera works, publishes from /raspicam_node and displays an image on the Remote PC. Not sure what my trouble was though I did do a "apt-get update and ungrade a few times in the meantime. I was not able to install the debs binary as it could not find "ros-kinetic-raspicam-node" package.  Thanks for the great work and now display a colored image along with the SLAM map on the TB3 Burger.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/raspberry-pi-camera-node/1388/11) or reply to this email to respond.