[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

Hey everyone,

today, ros.org was basically not available for me for the whole day,
although it did respond sporadically. What is happening there?

In the same context, at least over here in Hamburg, Germany the whole domain
and especially the wiki are awfully slow quite often.
I notice this especially every time I teach a practical course and ask the students
to lookup tutorials or package descriptions on the wiki...

Did others notice that too?

Is it be possible to improve the reliability of the site?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

Yes, there are problems. We're actively working on it right now, trying to understand what's happening and how to fix it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

It looks like we're still having some issues with the server.

If you need content urgently there are several mirrors worldwide. Since the main reference is here: http://wiki.ros.org/Mirrors

I've coped the up to date mirrors, as of today, below.

 * Asia:
  * http://mirror-ap.wiki.ros.org/ Singapore
  * http://mirror.sysu.edu.cn/wiki.ros.org/ Sun Yat-Sen University,  China
  * http://opensource-robotics.tokyo.jp/ros.org/wiki.ros.org Tokyo, Japan
  * http://ros.exbot.net/wiki China
 * Europe:
  * http://mirror-eu.wiki.ros.org/ Ireland
  * http://wiki.ros.org.ros.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/ Freiburg, Germany
  * https://devel.iri.upc.edu/docs/roswiki/wiki Barcelona, Catalonia

 * North America:
  * http://www.namesdir.com/mirrors/wiki.ros.org/ Saint Louis, Massachusetts

 * South America:
  * http://ros.fei.edu.br So Paulo, Brazil

You can set your own up as well. Instructions are here: https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/mirror

@v4hn Note that the wiki response time is sluggish even locally since we've grown beyond what moin moin was designed for. Though it's clearly amplified at a further distance.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

Are there any mirrors of docs.ros.org?

The status page is still reporting website, wiki, and docs as down.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

The standard mirror process does both the wiki and the docs.

The usual approach is to switch the sub-domain wiki for docs.

>From the list at least the following mirrors have docs active.

http://mirror-ap.docs.ros.org/
http://mirror-eu.docs.ros.org/
http://docs.ros.org.ros.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/

PS: The main site is up at the moment, but we are still trying to solve the underlying instability.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

Just a short follow up, we've identified that the /Robots page on the wiki uses a lot of resources. We've actually know that for a while, but now it's the easiest thing we can fix up to help us with stability and speed.

We're working on a new solution which is a statically generated site. We'll make an announcement when that's available.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

derlcn via ros-users

Wiki is down again with 500 errors...

https://status.ros.org/ page is tracking it.

Rohan