[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

I just followed through the installation tutorials and installed ROS2 on my mac. (Version 10.12.4).
After type in the following command in terminal:

. ~/ros2_install/ros2-osx/setup.bash
talker

It just gives back an error like this:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/pcre/lib/libpcre.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/lander14/ros2_install/ros2-osx/lib/libPocoFoundation.46.dylib
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

Can someone help me please?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Would you mind giving me a few more details about your installation? Did you install from source or binary?

Then further, can you verify that you installed poco and pcre correctly from homebrew?
On my machine this looks similar to:

      brew info poco pcre
    poco: stable 1.7.8 (bottled), HEAD
    C++ class libraries for building network and internet-based applications
    https://pocoproject.org/
    /usr/local/Cellar/poco/1.7.8 (784 files, 11.2MB)
      Poured from bottle on 2017-03-08 at 14:15:26
    From: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/poco.rb
    ==> Dependencies
    Build: cmake
    Required: openssl
    --with-static
    Build static libraries (instead of shared)
    --HEAD
    Install HEAD version

    pcre: stable 8.40 (bottled), HEAD
    Perl compatible regular expressions library
    http://www.pcre.org/
    /usr/local/Cellar/pcre/8.39 (203 files, 5.4MB) *
      Poured from bottle on 2017-02-17 at 09:07:36
    From: https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/pcre.rb

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

I installed the Binary packages. And because I'm very new to ROS2, I followed strictly as the website told me to( https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/OSX-Install-Binary ).
During the process, I didn't encounter anything as poco or pcre.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

@Kloping can you try running `brew install poco` to see if that resolves your issue. If so I'll update the install instructions for OS X that you linked to above.

Thanks.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Actually, my previous comment doesn't make anysense. Please ignore it.

Actually it looks like you'd need to do `brew install pcre`. If that command resolves your issue we'll put that in the instructions. You should not, however, need to have `poco` installed from Homebrew for the binary to work.

Sorry for the confusion.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Yes, it worked after installed **pcre**
Thank you very much!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Talker example on macOS failed.(ROS2)

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Cool, I updated the wiki pages.

For anyone interested, this seems to be an optional dependency of poco which it will pick up if installed from Homebrew. I was getting installed as a dependency of `cppchecker` which we have in our "development" or "from source" instruction, but not in our binary install instruction.

@Kloping thanks for pointing it out for us.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/talker-example-on-macos-failed-ros2/1649/7) or reply to this email to respond.