[Discourse.ros.org] [Jobs] Research position in Software Engineering for Robot Systems @ Fraunhofer IPA, Stuttgart, Germany
**Research position in Software Engineering for Robot Systems**
The key focus of research and development at the Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Engineering and Automation IPA is to find solutions to organizational and technological challenges, particularly within the production environment of industrial enterprises. With 14 individual departments engaged in the fields of Corporate Organization, Automation and Surface Engineering, our R&D projects aim to enhance production processes and make products more cost-effective and environmentally friendly by identifying and exploiting the potential for automation and streamlining at clients companies.
Our Robot and Assistive Systems department develops robots for various fields of application (e.g. manufacturing, logistics, domestic, etc.). A prominent example of our R&D work is our **Care-O-bot 4** technology platform that embodies a future product vision while at the same time acting as a technology test bed. Recently awarded the RedDot Best of the Best design award, Care-O-bot 4 unifies world-class mechanical engineering with advanced robot capabilities and software engineering for autonomous systems.
Complex robot systems incorporate software architectures, methods and tools for software engineering and testing. IPA is in charge of the European **ROS-Industrial** Consortium, the mission of which is to make the ROS open-source robotics software framework suitable for use in an industrial setting. In this context, our vision is to create complex robotic applications simply by composing and configuring reusable software building blocks/skills instead of developing robot-manufacturer-specific code for every single application. Automatic deployment of such software systems to the underlying robot hardware also reduces the typically still high integration effort for robot systems.
Finally, ROS-Industrial provides a basis for extensively improving the interoperability between robots, sensors and controls. To achieve these goals, IPA plays a leading role in prominent European research projects, such as **ROSIN**, ROBOTT-NET, BRICS, SMErobotics and Factory-in-a-Day, as well as in major German projects connected with Industrie4.0 research, such as ReApp.
**What we expect from you**
* Master in Computer Science, Electrical/Computer Engineering or related degree
* Experience in software development for mechatronic systems or embedded systems
* Excellent C/C++ programming skills
* Academic achievements
* Excellent communication skills in English, written and spoken
* Analytical thinker with the ability to get to the root of a problem
* Source control, code reviews and bug tracking systems
* Knowledge of software engineering and model-driven engineering approaches
* Challenging assignments with tight schedules
* Automated build and test and/or test driven development
* Oral and written German skills
Please include the following documents with your application:
* Cover letter expressing your motivations and ambitions
* Copies of all academic qualifications (including school education)
* Relevant references and certificates
What you can expect from us
The advertised position offers a unique opportunity to pursue research between the typically separate domains of service robotics and industrial robotics. We offer a highly interesting and diverse working environment with contact to top robotics researchers as well as industry. In addition to work towards a Ph.D. degree, the position includes the early transfer of project and staff responsibilities. To enable you to implement and validate your ideas, we offer access to exceptionally well-equipped laboratories and work facilities.
* Vertical integration from process control to higher-level IT infrastructure (MES, ERP), protocols for the interconnection of production system information with higher-level plant management systems
* Horizontal integration of robotics and automation devices Plug-and-Produce
Interoperability between (open) standards, such as ROS-Industrial, OPC-UA, PLC open, etc.
* Computer-aided deployment of complex (robot) software systems
* Development of Ontologies for the Robotics Domain
* Model-driven engineering techniques for the development of software components and applications (design of DSLs, code generation techniques, etc.)
Appointment, remuneration and social security benefits based on the public-sector collective wage agreement (TVD). Additionally Fraunhofer may grant performance-based variable remuneration components.
In case of identical qualifications, preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is committed to providing equal career opportunities for men and women.
Fraunhofer is Europes largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to peoples needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on peoples lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.