[Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt! Developers] Maintainer Meeting Recap - August 15th

[Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt! Developers] Maintainer Meeting Recap - August 15th

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

**Topics**

- Beginning ROS 2.0 efforts - Ian
- Ending Jade support and forking for Lunar - Isaac
- World MoveIt! Day 2017 - Dave
- STOMP Cost Maps
- Generalize IK parameters
- OMPL Updates
- Agile Grasps
- New maintainers
- New MoveIt! website

**Attendees**
- Michael 'v4hn' Grner
- Robert Haschke
- Isaac IY Saito
- Jorge Nicho
- G.A. vd. Hoorn
- Dave Coleman
- Ian McMahon
- Bence Magyar
- Jonathan Binney
- Mark Moll

**Summary**
- ROS 2.0:
  - Challenges
    - Robot representation file to be decided in the future.
    - Communication layer
    - ROS parameters no supported
  - Action items
    -  Using the bridge as an initial step.  Have verification from OSRF
    - Separate branch to be created for changes related to ROS 2.0 transition

- Lunar branch
   - Create new branch for large feature changes
   - Freezing jade
   - Continue cherry  picking into indigo, kinetic

- World MoveIt! Day
   - After ROS Con, maybe week after ICRA, tentative date 10th of October.

- OMPL replacement interface (Mark Moll):
  - Current Features
    - Planning with Cost functions
    - Existing Cost function framework in OMPL
  - In progress features
    - Hard Constraints (very specific)
    - Framework will load new planners that adhere to the ompl interface.
    - https://github.com/ros-planning/moveit/issues/117

- STOMP Cost Maps (Bence):
  - Too many Assumptions in both the MoveIt! and STOMP frameworks.
  - Fixing start state is limiting.
  - Bence to compile list of issues

- IK parameters:
  - Parameters exposure is lacking
  - Alternatives include using generic structure with downcasting or passing a function callback

- MoveIt! Website face lift
  - Setup a Bounty source account for funding this effort?
 - Agile Grasp Generator
   - Integration in MoveIt! in progress
   - No general perception tool in MoveIt! to supplement grasping functionality.

- Pull Requests
   - Maintainers to look at PR list more frequently.
   - Four eyes principle for merging unless change is insignificant (e.g. typos).
   - Michael's Remarks
     - To help distinguish between "bottlenecked" and other requests, I just created a new tag "awaits 2nd review". Now, if you open https://github.com/ros-planning/moveit/pulls you get friendly red highlights on some requests.
     - Also please have a quick look at our maintainer side guidelines if you have not read them before:
http://moveit.ros.org/documentation/contributing/pullrequests/

Thanks to all the maintainers who attended the meeting!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/maintainer-meeting-recap-august-15th/2473/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt! Developers] Maintainer Meeting Recap - August 15th

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

Thanks @Jorge_Nicho for the recap!

Glad to see that ROS 2.0 was on the agenda! I'm dropping a few notes / questions here but I'm happy to continue the discussion on a separate thread to not clutter this one.

Looking at MoveIt! recently, there seem to be a few changes required for ROS2 that are compatible with ROS1 and can be done on the current development branch:

- moving to package format 2
- migrate to tf2

Current features used by MoveIt! but not in ROS2 yet:

- no actions yet (C++ or Python)
- no parameters in Python yet
- pluginlib: class_loader has been ported but not pluginlib yet, it's not yet sure what plugins api will be like exactly

Specific ROS 2 changes:

- no nodelets in ROS 2, all nodes are nodelets (there is almost no nodelets left in MoveIt! but the remaining one(s) will have to be converted to nodes)

Questions:

- Could you clarify what is in the "ROS parameters not supported" bullet?
- Could you also give more details about the "Communication layer" challenge?
- "Using the bridge as an initial step. Have verification from OSRF" << We can discuss this in more details on the follow-up thread as well

(I know this is a summary and a good way to have more details would have been to attend the meeting :confused: )

Thanks!

/cc @dirk-thomas

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/maintainer-meeting-recap-august-15th/2473/2) or reply to this email to respond.