[Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt!] MoveIt! Maintainer Meeting Recap - July 25th, 2018
- Status of ROS Melodic
- Building Melodic on Kinetic
- Progress with GSoC students
- World MoveIt! Day Planning
- New OMPL interfaces
- Potential Intel collaborations
- Switching to reoccurring monthly meeting of shorter length
- Michael v4hn Grner
- Robert Haschke
- Isaac IY Saito
- Jorge Nicho
- Dave Coleman
- Ian McMahon
- Bence Magyar
- Gijs van der Hoorn
- Mike Lautman
- Levi H. Armstrong
- Akiyoshi Ochiai
- Zack Kingston
- Will Baker
- Nathan Brooks
- Matthew K Hansen
- Mark Moll
- Andy McEvoy
- Sharron Liu
1 - Introductions
- Matthew K Hansen from Intel
- Zack Kingston from RICE's Kavraki robotics lab
- Works in MoveIt!, Robonaut 2.0
- Will Baker from Houson Mechatronics
- Worked on MoveIt! with Robonaut
- Nathan Brooks from Picknik
2 - ROS Melodic
- MoveIt! migration PR still un-reviewed
- Most users still on kinetic
- No robot drivers, many packages still behind
- API changes in Melodic, pluginlib, TF2(ABI changes) , etc., make it incompatible with ROS- Kinetic. These changes bring ROS Melodic closer to ROS 2.0.
- Michael Grner update:
- Pull Request on grasping, grasp generation and tutorial.
- Fixes to MoveIt Grasp Package
- Detect Object button in Rviz being examined for possible fixes; it currently does nothing.
- Andy McEvoy update:
- Mentoring student Mohamed.
- Working on new features for the Setup Assistant that work with Gazebo and add improved visualization
- ROS Control Integration in progress.
- Grasping screen, not much progress.
- Mark Moll update:
- Working on improving CHOMP and STOMP
- CHOMP's original implementation is very brittle.
- MoveiIt! Website now has tutorials on how to setup those planners.
- CHOMP Author claims that planner has lots of downsides, especially when dealing with obstacles.
- STOMP optimization framework is very promising, needs repository maintainers to be more responsive.
- Collision refactoring issue is being addressed, a PR has been created.
- More participation from industrial_move maintainers, add new admins to keep development from stagnating.
4 New OMPL interfaces
- OMPL planner plugin refactoring allows new and existing planner implementation to load their own configuration, allows selecting planner types (joint planner, Cartesian planner) and reuse of configuration spaces.
- Big internal API change, for external user it should look the same; behavior effectively remains unchanged.
- Perhaps integrate into melodic?
- Pull Request is being broken down into smaller PRs.
- State Space discontinuity has been a long standing issue.
- Matthew K Hansen and Sharron Liu
- Focus in enabling ROS 2.0 for industrial applications. Looking into enabling MoveIt in ROS 2.0
- ROS2 Grasp Library Presentation:
- MoveIt Plugin
- Prototyped GQCNN (originally trained with Tensorflow) grasp method with Interl OpenVINO, 93% success rate was achieved. Original implementation has UCB license (not-for-profit) so it cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- Grasp Library Proposal, trained with caffe and RGBD image data.
- Alternatives to TensorFlow or Caffe Can is OpenVINO which provides hardware acceleration benefits.
- Goal is to create a ROS 2.0 Grasp Library with the option to enable OpenVIN. A demo with the UR5 robot that works with MoveIt! will be created and documented
6 World MoveIt! Day
- Planned for October 25th
- Lessons learned document from last year is available.
- Not very well advertised. Official announcement soon to come.