[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

>From navigation repo in ROS2, there is no concrete commit since August. As we know, navigation is one of most important components in Robotics. I'd like know the plan for its enabling and does it accept community patches for such effort? thanks.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

Patches from the community are always welcome! :slight_smile:  If it doesn't work for you, please feel free to fix it and send in a pull request or patch.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

[quote="jwang11, post:1, topic:3055"]
Id like know the plan for its enabling and does it accept community patches for such effort?
[/quote]

Yeah community involvement and contributions are always appreciated!
The fork of navigation in the ros2 organization was a one time work to play around for a demo, this is not maintained and we don't pretend to make it any close to the ROS 1 version. We do encourage users interested in helping the migration of any ROS 1 package or stack to contact the maintainers and submit their patches on the upstream ROS 1 repositories.

Thanks!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

There were a couple of alternative navigation-related projects presented at ROSCon this year. Both were advertised as having advantages over the "default" one, and might be a better candidate for porting to ROS 2.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

if navigation repo is for demo purpose and won't be maintained, I'd suggest re-name it to navigation_demo. How to enable a ROS2 formal navigation, do you have any plan?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

if existing navigation repo is for demo purpose and wont be maintained, Id suggest re-name it to navigation_demo. Except it, is there any other effort working on Navigation (move_base) enabling in ROS2 community?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] About ROS2 navigation enabling plan

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

AFAIK, there is no actual plan, it's up to the maintainer and community contribution from the feedback: https://github.com/ros2/navigation/issues/21

Regarding alternative navigation-related projects presented at ROSCon this year, for example,[robot_navigation](https://github.com/locusrobotics/robot_navigation) from David Lu, will also focus on implementing it in the ROS1 firstly.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/about-ros2-navigation-enabling-plan/3055/7) or reply to this email to respond.