[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

I can reproduce follower function in turtlebot_demo with latest code. Actually I am also very interested in the progress of Cartographer and navigation in ROS2, I'd like to know, is it ready to show demo of them in beta2? thanks a lot.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

Yes, in beta2 we will have demos for cartographer, follower, and localization, all running on the Turtlebot2.  We are still moving around some of the pieces, and we need to update the documentation, so stay tuned.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

look forward to these demos

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

I am trying to reproduce cartographer demo following the instructions in https://github.com/ros2/turtlebot2_demo. And I use ros1_bridge and rviz to visualize the slam. However, I can't see anything in rivz, and in ros1_bridge, I can see a lot of error:

failed to create 2to1 bridge for topic '/tf' with ROS 2 type 'tf2_msgs/TFMessage' and ROS 1 type '': No template specialization for the pair
check the list of supported pairs with the `--print-pairs` option
failed to create 2to1 bridge for topic '/tf_static' with ROS 2 type 'tf2_msgs/TFMessage' and ROS 1 type '': No template specialization for the pair

I have also tried talker/listener sample using ros1_bridge, both direction work fine.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

what release version of ROS 2 are you using? did you build the bridge yourself or are you using pre-built binaries? the bridge error messages you see suggest you're either using an outdated version of `ros1_bridge` or that you have custom-built the `ros1_bridge` yourself and are missing support for TF2 messages.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

I build from latest source code, https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ros2/ros2/master/ros2.repos
src/ament/ament_tools/scripts/ament.py build --build-tests --symlink-install

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

I suspect that your bridge has only been built with minimal message support (you can verify this with the `--print-pairs` option as suggested). It needs to be built in a particular way to get tf2_msgs and nav_msgs etc support.

Please either switch to using the bridge from binaries, or follow these instructions to build the bridge from source: https://github.com/ros2/ros1_bridge/blob/master/README.md#build-the-bridge-from-source

This is mentioned in the demo instructions but I'll update it to highlight that this step requires particular attention.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

With beta2 release binary code, it is really workable. However, beta2 binary doesn't include turtulebot_demo, so I can't try cartographer and navigation.  So, I'd suggest you release a full version for beta2, so user can easily evaluate the capabilities of ROS2. thanks a  lot.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

beta2 binaries for the turtlebot2 demo can be installed from debian packages if you don't want to build the demo from source: https://github.com/ros2/turtlebot2_demo#installation-from-binaries

hope this helps

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

It looks like the bridge is not listed in the turtlebot instructions.
please run `sudo apt install ros-r2b2-ros1-bridge` to install the bridge

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

After resolve the ros1_bridge issue, ros1_bridge output looks ok now. But I still can't see anything in rviz, /scan topic has nothing to show. do I miss something? I follow below steps

launch `ros2 pkg prefix turtlebot2_cartographer`/share/turtlebot2_cartographer/launch/turtlebot_carto_2d.py

Terminal A:

. /opt/ros/kinetic/setup.bash
roscore

Terminal B:

. /opt/ros/kinetic/setup.bash
. <YOUR_ROS2_WORKSPACE>
ros2 run ros1_bridge dynamic_bridge

Terminal C:

. /opt/ros/kinetic/setup.bash
rosrun rviz rviz

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/12) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

So far, for cartographer, I still can't see /map in rviz although /depth looks ok. any thought to resolve it? In my last post, I have listed the steps.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/13) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Cartographer and Navigation workable in beta2?

William Woodall via ros-users

Finally, I can see /map now, thanks.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/cartographer-and-navigation-workable-in-beta2/2074/14) or reply to this email to respond.