[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] DDS vendor interop -- anybody tried it lately?

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] DDS vendor interop -- anybody tried it lately?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

I recently attempted to make ROS2 on CoreDX talk to ROS2 on FastRTPS. I also attempted to use ROS2 on OpenSplice to talk to ROS2 on FastRTPS. I couldn't get anybody to talk to each other. I followed various guides I found on the internet to achieve supposed compatibility. I even captured some data on the wire, where I discovered that they all use different ports these days. Do we have some rule for utilizing the ROD_DOMAIN_ID and which port that puts you on?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/dds-vendor-interop-anybody-tried-it-lately/3340/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] DDS vendor interop -- anybody tried it lately?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

The last release (beta 3) was tested with FastRTPS, Connext, and OpenSplice and our test suite already performs cross vendor testing between all available rmw implementation. So in general: yes it works.

Recent changes on the `master` branches broke OpenSplice support (see [rmw_opensplice#217](https://github.com/ros2/rmw_opensplice/pull/217)) but that is something we will hopefully be able to resolve soon.

I can't speak for CoreDX since we don't test with it on our CI system.

In general you must use the same `ROD_DOMAIN_ID` / DDS domain id in order for participants to talk to each other. The rmw implementations already take care about other configuration settings (e.g. enable loopback and not only used vendor-specific shared memory).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/dds-vendor-interop-anybody-tried-it-lately/3340/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] DDS vendor interop -- anybody tried it lately?

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Last time I checked, rmw_coredx was not implementing the ROS namespaces in DDS partitions so couldnt match with ROS topics created with other vendors (as even empty ROS namespaces result in a specific partition on the wire, see http://design.ros2.org/articles/topic_and_service_names.html section "ROS Specific Namespace Prefix" for more details).
Every other vendor we provide are performing cross-vendor communication in our test suite so I'd say it should work (for pub/sub, not for services at the moment).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/dds-vendor-interop-anybody-tried-it-lately/3340/3) or reply to this email to respond.