[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] How to use Kinect or other Sensors in ROS2?

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] How to use Kinect or other Sensors in ROS2?

Ahmed Ali via ros-users

I was looking at the [ros2_astra_driver](https://github.com/ros2/ros_astra_camera). I see the PR [#26](https://github.com/ros2/ros_astra_camera/pull/26). Is it something similar we are looking forward in order to use sensors like kinect and others to be used in ROS2.0, without using ROS1.0 ?

Do we need to change all these drivers?
Or Will there be any common ROS2 interface for the sensors that would build the bridge between ros1 cpp/py standards with ros2 rclcpp/rclpy standards?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/how-to-use-kinect-or-other-sensors-in-ros2/3480/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] How to use Kinect or other Sensors in ROS2?

Ahmed Ali via ros-users

As it currently stands, it is necessary to do some porting of drivers and packages to bring them from ROS1 to ROS2.  Some of those changes are mechanical, so will be easy to do (and possibly automate); some of those changes could be eased by a shim layer.  @dirk-thomas created a PR detailing some of the problems, thinking, and solutions here:  https://github.com/ros2/design/pull/139 .  Feedback on that is welcome.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/how-to-use-kinect-or-other-sensors-in-ros2/3480/2) or reply to this email to respond.