[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Intraprocess communication with services

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Intraprocess communication with services

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if a ros2.0 service server and client exist in the same process can they share data with shared memory as publishers and subscribers can?  The [Intra Process tutorial](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/Intra-Process-Communication) gives a great example of sharing pointers between publishers and subscribers but does not mention if services can support this.

Thanks

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/intraprocess-communication-with-services/2655/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Intraprocess communication with services

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

Unfortunately no, we only have support for pub/sub intraprocess. Though I believe it is possible to support Services (the implementation would be slightly different from pub/sub), we just haven't had the time to implement it yet.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/intraprocess-communication-with-services/2655/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Intraprocess communication with services

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

Why is it necessary for a intra-process service to share memory ? I thought services are mainly used to call specific functions of a sub/pub in a node.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/intraprocess-communication-with-services/2655/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Intraprocess communication with services

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

[quote="sagniknitr, post:3, topic:2655"]
Why is it necessary for a intra-process service to share memory ?
[/quote]

Well, they don't need to share memory, but that's the most efficient thing to do when dealing with intra-process.

[quote="sagniknitr, post:3, topic:2655"]
I thought services are mainly used to call specific functions of a sub/pub in a node.
[/quote]

Services may or may not be implemented with pub/sub, but that's up to the middleware implementation. Even if services are implemented with pub/sub, that implementation would occur below where the intra-process optimizations for pub/sub occur.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/intraprocess-communication-with-services/2655/4) or reply to this email to respond.