[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Keys in msg

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Keys in msg

Florian Friesdorf via ros-users

Most of the DDS vendors support the idea of a primary key in their message structures. Have we discussed enabling that from the ROS msg format? What are the issues here? A "key" keyword seems fairly straightforward.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/keys-in-msg/1942/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Keys in msg

Florian Friesdorf via ros-users

We've discussed it before, but it's largely seen as overlapping in functionality with topic namespaces.

If you have a use case that is made possible with keys, then that would be interesting to hear about it.

However, there are quite a few little details for implementing the key field which are not straightforward to me, like:

- each vendor has its own way of defining them
- dealing with key fields in nested messages
- use of them has to be made visible from all of the ROS tools

Probably other things I cannot even think of now. So unless there is a big use case which is not possible with namespaced topics, I think we'd probably not expose it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/keys-in-msg/1942/2) or reply to this email to respond.