[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS Time in beta1

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS Time in beta1

Ahmed Ali via ros-users

The theoretical ideas behind this abstraction are in this design doc:

http://design.ros2.org/articles/clock_and_time.html

@tfoote might be able to give more pointers, he was the architect of this part of `rcl`. Also, we don't really have a good example of how this should be used, as far as I can find, at the moment. I think the ideas was that we would do that once we had it exposed in c++ and python.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-time-in-beta1/1003/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS Time in beta1

Ahmed Ali via ros-users

So, with the release of Ardent, is time now fully functional?
That is to say, will it work like ROS1 time when we are simulating on a computer? Or replaying bagged data through the bridge? Or running distributed ROS2 nodes across computers?

What are the limitations of Time in V1?

Thanks.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-time-in-beta1/1003/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS Time in beta1

Ahmed Ali via ros-users

I'm not 100% certain of where the state landed, @tfoote can you describe it?

I know we got ROS Time into the C++ API in some form, but I'm unclear on the status of sim time itself and how to enable it (via parameters I guess?). Also, I'm not sure if it's been tested with bagged data via the bridge.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-time-in-beta1/1003/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS Time in beta1

Ahmed Ali via ros-users

In C++ ROS time is operational using the `/clock` topic if the parameter `use_sim_time` is set, following the [Clock and TIme design article](http://design.ros2.org/articles/clock_and_time.html).

The rclcpp Node has been extended to automatically setup a time source and provides [`now()`](https://github.com/ros2/rclcpp/blob/master/rclcpp/include/rclcpp/node.hpp#L376) and [`get_clock()`](https://github.com/ros2/rclcpp/blob/master/rclcpp/include/rclcpp/node.hpp#L372) convenience methods.

It has not been tested with the bridge and ROS1. I suspect that it would work if the right alias is defined between ROS1's `std_msgs/Time` and ROS2's `builtin_msgs/Time` as the datatypes are the same and the topic is the same.

Note that there's slightly different semantics on the parameter too as it's on the node and not global anymore.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-time-in-beta1/1003/6) or reply to this email to respond.