[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

Ian McMahon via ros-users

All,
If you're interested in our ROS2 Navigation plans and status, we're going to start a regular working group to discuss.

Our first WG will be this Thursday, 8/2/18, at 8am Pacific time. If you are interested in joining, message me with your email and I'll send you an invite.

Thanks,
Matt

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-navigation-working-group-kick-off/5559/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

Ian McMahon via ros-users

Update - due to a conflict, I have to move this meeting to 7am Pacific time, still on Thursday 8/2. If you're interested, message me with your email address.

Matt

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-navigation-working-group-kick-off/5559/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

Ian McMahon via ros-users

Will you guys publish your meeting minutes each time after the meeting ? It benefits the community to get aware of what's going on, thanks !

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-navigation-working-group-kick-off/5559/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

Ian McMahon via ros-users

Thanks to everyone who attended the first WG, overall it was a success. There is obviously a lot of work to be done, and we'll meet again in a few weeks.

If you replied to me and didn't get an invite, I apologize, I didn't see some replies until after the meeting. Next time I'll try to create an event with a link that is public so anyone can join.

The presentation slides - Navigation 2 Overview, are being pushed to our Github repo: https://github.com/ros-planning/navigation2/blob/master/doc/README.md

Feel free to file issues there for anything you want addressed.

Thanks again,
Matt

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-navigation-working-group-kick-off/5559/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 Navigation Working Group Kick-off

Ian McMahon via ros-users

All, here were the notes captured from the first meeting (thanks to @mjeronimo):

        Michael Ferguson

  o Comment: Task dispatch engine: make this a separate library?

  o Should implement continuous re-planning in the navigation node

  o ROS2: compress these modules into same process?

      Warning: Environmental model across many processes could be performance issue

        Huge state machine graphs floating around

        Could we solve with local caching?

    o Questions

        Porting A* and DWA or re-implementing? - Mostly porting, with some refactoring

        Add some unit tests? Yes, we plan to have unit tests

        Working on a branch, review upon integration into master? Yes we will integrate into master, branch is for temporary / work in progress code

        Timeline?

        December 14th (Dirk mentioned Crystal release)

        Fully working system?

        Default platform? Turtlebot3

        David Lu

o Sharing of resources

        One node for move base

        Have to pass entire cost map

        Part of the reason to combine it was performance-related

        Overall trade-off between ability control things vs. ability to be modular

        Would we be better off (nav core) not having the cost map object not managed at the high level

        Planner tracking its own cost map

        What you lose is ability to call specific recoveries

o 3D version of DWA :)

        Adam Duncan (Amazon)

o ROS2 design; fundamentally aren't achievable in ROS2?

o Any core components missing on ROS2

o Tf2 message filter

        Ray Cole (Amazon, lead engineer on internal team, ROS)

o Performance: areas to try to test? Use cases, data flow.

        Something to do early on

o Introspection into what's going on?  Management console.

        Errors, invalid states

        Productized

        Tom Moore

o No comments

        Wei Zhi Liu

o No comments

        Dirk Thomas

o Overhead between processes

        Could put upper cap on cross-language capability

        Could incur high run-time cost

        Could stay within same language, build into shared libraries

        Shivang Tripathi

o No comments

        "Steve"

o No comments