[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 support: ROS Answers?

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 support: ROS Answers?

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

I've recently started seeing some more questions about ROS2 appear on ROS Answers.

What is the current recommendation / convention / decision on where support questions for ROS 2 are to be posted? Is it this Discourse category? The [ros2/ros2/issue tracker](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/issues)?

While ROS 2 is ROS, it's not ROS 1, and it's sufficiently different to perhaps not mix the two on one forum. One of the complaints about ROS Answers is that it's difficult for newcomers to find relevant Q&As and if/when they do, to figure out whether an (accepted) answer is still relevant or not.

I can imagine that with Q&As for ROS 2 and ROS 1 showing up in the same listing this is only going to get worse, so perhaps we should discourage the use of ROS Answers for ROS 2 questions?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-support-ros-answers/2620/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 support: ROS Answers?

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

So far we've suggested to people that they can use any of the forums they want to ask in (discourse, issues, or answers.ros.org). But I think we're open to reevaluating that recommendation.

Some things to consider (my opinions):

- no matter what we recommend, people will post questions about ROS 2 on answers.ros.org
- we currently redirect questions on discourse about ROS 1 to answers.ros.org, redirecting questions about ROS 2 back to discourse from answers.ros.org seems contradictory
- the premise of asking questions be asked on answers.ros.org is that the askbot instance is better for Q&A type discussions, so why wouldn't that be the case for ROS 2 as well?
- some questions might involve both ROS 1 and ROS 2, or may have overlap (description formats, message definitions, etc)

My personal preference would be to have the questions on askbot, whether on answers.ros.org or answers.ros2.org, at some point in the future.

For the issue of people finding relevant Q&A's and/or up-to-date answers, I agree having ROS 2 in the mix would make it worse, but I wonder if this is just a problem we need to address in general. We may still decide to keep them separate for this reason, but perhaps with a solution to the existing problem, adding ROS 2 wouldn't be as much of a burden.

I don't have a clear answer for you, what do you (others) think we should do?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-support-ros-answers/2620/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 support: ROS Answers?

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

Given that ROS 1 and ROS 2 are likely to be used in a mixed configuration for the foreseeable future, I think that a tag on answers.ros.org should help. And perhaps some kind of default filter that explicitly ignores or requires the ros2 tag?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-support-ros-answers/2620/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 support: ROS Answers?

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

I was actually wrong, our recommendation right now is for them to ask questions on this category of discourse, see the top of the issue template:

https://github.com/ros2/ros2/issues/new

> For general questions, please post on discourse: https://discourse.ros.org/c/ng-ros
For Bug report or feature requests, please fill out the relevant category below

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-support-ros-answers/2620/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 support: ROS Answers?

Jonathan Binney via ros-users

While we've been doing agile development with a small community we've been suggesting questions on the discussion forums here as it's specifically scoped so we haven't reached the point of being overwhelmed by the volume. However as the user base grows this will change.

Indeed I agree that in the long run we should be using answers.ros.org there will be a long time with hybrid systems. I'm not sure that segregating based on the top level URLs will be particularly helpful and will lead to a lot of questions needing to be refiled on the other tracker, versus just an updated tag. A lot of this can be helped out by a little effort of curation, with tags and being able to give feedback to the people asking questions to help them ask good questions.

We went through this process with ROS1. In the early days it was more convenient to be on the mailing lists. But at some point the question volume overflows and single channel and the searchability and parallelization and tagging curation becomes important and allows specialization. Part of the value of keeping things in a single stream is that we're still making cross cutting changes etc so there is significant value to having everyone listen to the same channel, so that everyone stays aware of what's going on with the other parts as they're not as isolated as they would be in a more stable phase of the project.

So at some point we'll have to switch away from the questions here on the forums and go back to tagged questions approach. But for now I think we're still ok with things here.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-support-ros-answers/2620/5) or reply to this email to respond.