[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Waffle.io is shutting down. Does the ROS2 development team have an alternative tool in the pipeline?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Good question. Wonder if GitHub project boards cover this use-case.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

The issue is that GH project boards do not support pulling issues / PRs from multiple organizations, that would be the main blocker I believe.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Is this issue you allude to?

https://github.com/dear-github/dear-github/issues/209#issuecomment-283963766

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

No, org-wide boards are already supported by GH. It's cross-org that is the problem.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

I linked to the exact comment that mentioned this, given the ticket seemed to be ill titled:

> Actually, what we need is to create cards referring to issues/PRs across organizations. ... However, the search interface in "Add cards" is limited to the current organization.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

Also dependencies aren't supported yet: https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/210

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Replacement for Waffle.io

Risto Kojcev via Discourse.ros.org via ros-users

I love the comparison of Redmine and GitHub interfaces. It reminds me of a textbook I had back in university that had a screenshot of a popular-at-the-time Java development tool, with every possible sub-window open, and a 32x32 pixel area with an arrow pointing to it labeled "write your code here".

Having said that, the GitHub boards implementation is woefully lacking for anything beyond quickly visualising where issues are in the development process, and it's not even very good at that. The automation options are really limited and you have to manage most of the issues manually.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/replacement-for-waffle-io/8355/8) or reply to this email to respond.