[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

How will ros2 work with multipel robots and restricting communication between the robots?

Is there any mechanism now that can be used? Is this supposed to be solved by the Quality of Service specification?

I want certain topics to just be available inside the robot were the network is on cable.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

You can set the DDS Domain ID. On ROS2 it's called ROS_DOMAIN_ID (Not sure about the spelling)
I think it should be enough to export it as an environment variable.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

For that to work I think you need to be able to set the domain id on a topic. Is that possible? Or have different namespace for internal and external messages and possibility to set domain id and QoS per namespace and topic.

We also have the caser were data sent intenrlly have different QoS specification than data sent externally. Is that supported in any way?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

Ahh sry, didn't see you wanted certain topics for both robots available. In this case I think using namespaces for the other topics should be the thing you are looking for.

In theory DDS supports applications that use multiple DDS Domain IDs but I don't think ROS2 allows this.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

But even if I use different topics somebody can start a subscription by mistake and kill the wifi.

The solution I am thinking of is:

- Use namespace topics inside the robot
- For all inter robot communication use topics without namespace

I then just have to trust that nobody subscribes on the namespace topics between robots.  What I wantes was a techical way to make it impossible.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

If you want to enforce connection limits we are in the process of adding support for the DDS Security specification. That would allow you to prevent connections between the robots if you deploy certificates appropriately.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

A DDS person would tell you to use partitions, probably. For us, since we're currently using DDS partitions in our implementation and don't expose them through the ROS 2 api, I would advise you to just use ROS namespaces. We're planning on having more sophisticated at runtime and during runtime topic manipulation to help with this.

I gained a lot of insight on what would be needed to deal with situations like this when working on the [capabilities](https://github.com/osrf/capabilities) package as part of the rocon project. I think with some more options to configure the namespaces (remapping and aliasing) it will be a more tractable problem, but we don't have those features yet.

A stronger separation would be to have different domains and have some bridges to expose parts of one domain to another.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Restricting communication between robots

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

What about a capability to specify that a specific namespace uses a specific domain? It sounds clunky, but if a neat way could be found to do it, that would give proper separation.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/restricting-communication-between-robots/2931/8) or reply to this email to respond.