[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

Gary Edwards via ros-users

Is rosbag available in ROS2?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosbag-in-ros2/4827/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

Gary Edwards via ros-users

It's not yet available, unfortunately. I've started working on a design document, but it's work in progress as I still have to evaluate the best underlying storage format.
Feel free to comment on the design PR:

[https://github.com/ros2/design/pull/160](https://github.com/ros2/design/pull/160)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosbag-in-ros2/4827/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

Gary Edwards via ros-users

Karsten,
Is it worthwhile to have a rosbag port to ROS2 for the interim? I could do something (maybe with a little help) so that we can atleast record/play bags without resorting to the ros1 bridge. My current idea was to simply port rosbag's subscription/publish/node stuff to ROS2

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosbag-in-ros2/4827/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

Gary Edwards via ros-users

I personally would advise against it. We are starting the rosbag2 development soon and I don't think that maintaining two systems does bring much benefit. Also I believe, using the bridge for using existing ROS1 bags does work (to a realistic degree) as such an interim.

To simply port the pub/sub to ROS2 won't bring you that much as things like connection information (type information, quality of service parameters, etc) won't be trivially portable. I'll try to break down my idea of development into multiple bits and tasks so that it's possible to contribute.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosbag-in-ros2/4827/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

Gary Edwards via ros-users

> Also I believe, using the bridge for using existing ROS1 bags does work (to a realistic degree) as such an interim.

I can entirely second this. We are piping through the ros1_bridge (used in https://github.com/ros2/ros1_bridge/blob/master/src/parameter_bridge.cpp mode, ROS2 => ROS1 direction) ~10MB/s of data and don't have any problem neither with latency nor with throughput.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosbag-in-ros2/4827/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rosbag in ROS2

Gary Edwards via ros-users

We've created a github issue for tracking the development of rosbags for crystal:
https://github.com/ros2/ros2/issues/533

Feel free to keep an eye on it. At this point, it's pretty rough and I am not able to distribute any easy tasks here. But I will update it with individual sub-tasks which hopefully give us the opportunity to make some of them available for contributions.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rosbag-in-ros2/4827/6) or reply to this email to respond.