Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] ROS2, Building from source problem (macOS)

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] ROS2, Building from source problem (macOS)

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hello, I was trying to install the ROS2 according to the instruction here: https://github.com/ros2/ros2/wiki/OSX-Development-Setup
Everything was fine until the section "Get the ROS2 code"
> mkdir -p ~/ros2_ws/src
> cd ~/ros2_ws
> wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ros2/ros2/release-latest/ros2.repos
> vcs import src < ros2.repos

when I try to execute the last command, I get this error:
> $ vcs import src < ros2.repos
> stty: stdin isn't a terminal
> Video Contact Sheet *NIX v1.13.2, (c) 2007-2014 Toni Corvera
> Unable to locate DejaVu Sans font. Falling back to helvetica.
> File "import" doesn't exist
> File "src" doesn't exist
> stty: stdin isn't a terminal

Anyone knows why?

Another question is, what's the difference between _building from binariy packages_ and _building from source_ ?
If I want to build a ROS1<->2 bridge, then I have to build from source right?

(For the website maintainer:
 You might want to consider adding "--user" in the following instruction:
> python3 -m pip install empy setuptools nose vcstool pep8 pydocstyle pyflakes flake8 mock coverage
in case that any newbies like me who doesn't have root permission, to have problems installing.)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-building-from-source-problem-macos/1789/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] ROS2, Building from source problem (macOS)

Procópio Stein via ros-users

With respect to the `stty: stdin isn't a terminal`, I have no idea. Are you pasting that command into a normal terminal (using  `Terminal.app` or `iTerm2.app` or something)?

[quote="Kloping, post:1, topic:1789"]
If I want to build a ROS1&lt;-&gt;2 bridge, then I have to build from source right?
[/quote]

You have to build from source if you want the ROS 1 <-> ROS 2 bridge on OS X. Our Linux binary has the ROS 1 <-> ROS 2 bridge built for ROS Kinetic on Xenial, but otherwise you have to build the bridge from source.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-building-from-source-problem-macos/1789/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] ROS2, Building from source problem (macOS)

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Thank you for you reply. Yes, I am using a normal Terminal.app

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-building-from-source-problem-macos/1789/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] ROS2, Building from source problem (macOS)

Procópio Stein via ros-users

So, these are my experience solving these problems:
Tools like vcstool need to be located in usr/local/bin.  So always use "sudo" when installing.
(e.g. `sudo python3 -m pip install empy setuptools nose vcstool` )
Test every tool in Terminal first, make sure they are installed properly before going for ament build.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-building-from-source-problem-macos/1789/4) or reply to this email to respond.