[Discourse.ros.org] Normal of pointcloud2

[Discourse.ros.org] Normal of pointcloud2

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Hello,
I am a beginner un ros. I want to find the normal of my pointcloud2. Is there a class who do that un ros?

Thanks you un avance.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/normal-of-pointcloud2/3314/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] Normal of pointcloud2

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Hello,

I'm not experienced with PCL but to detect planes (for object recognition) I've used in the past: http://wiki.ros.org/tabletop_object_detector
But I don't know if it will give you straight away the normals. I don't remember what it returns, even tho you can see the planes in Rviz.

If you are also inexperienced in PCL and ROS, there is a GitHub repo with a nice writing and sample code on how to do stuff with PCL and ROS here: https://github.com/ritwik1993/pcl_495
And the PCL docs have an article about finding normals: http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/normal_estimation.php

Good luck.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/normal-of-pointcloud2/3314/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] Normal of pointcloud2

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Thank you for the answer.

The problem is I can't install pcl for ROS. I hva eproperly install pcl 1.7 on ubuntu but it seems there is no pcl install on my ROS kinetic.
I made a ros kinetic full install and pcl is not there. How can I add it to my ros kinetic?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/normal-of-pointcloud2/3314/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] Normal of pointcloud2

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Taking a look at the wiki: http://wiki.ros.org/pcl_ros
I see it's released for Kinetic, so:

`sudo apt-get install ros-kinetic-pcl-ros`

should work.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/normal-of-pointcloud2/3314/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] Normal of pointcloud2

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

@xavier_BUHOT I see you've gotten some pointers here. However going forward I'd like to request that you follow [our guidelines](http://wiki.ros.org/Support) and ask questions on http://answers.ros.org . ROS Discourse is for news and general interest discussions.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/normal-of-pointcloud2/3314/5) or reply to this email to respond.