[Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Distribution layers for ROS

[Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Distribution layers for ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Which distribution layers
do you guys use from the [openembedded layers](https://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers/)? Which could work with a BeagleBone Black and ROS1? Which could work for the BBB and ROS2? Thanks in advance

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/distribution-layers-for-ros/3355/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Distribution layers for ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Here's the relevant part of my `bblayers.conf`:

```
REFKIT_LAYERS = " \
  /home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/meta \
  /home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/meta-selftest \
<SKIP>
  "

REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-filesystems"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-gnome"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-multimedia"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-networking"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-oe"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-perl"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-python"
REFKIT_LAYERS += "/home/rojkov/work/iot-ref-kit/openembedded-core/../meta-openembedded/meta-xfce"
```

meta-ros is tested against the master branch of OE-core, but should work with the latest release too. I guess BBB is supported out of the box. In Ostro [1] we didn't use any additional BSP layer for BBB, but did have some additional kernel patches. Check this layer [2]

For ROS2 you may have a look at this pull request to meta-ros [3] and check this topic https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-2-layer-for-openembedded-linux/2835/5.

[1] https://github.com/ostroproject/ostro-os
[2] https://github.com/ostroproject/ostro-os/tree/master/meta-ostro-bsp
[3] https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-ros/pull/538

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/distribution-layers-for-ros/3355/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Distribution layers for ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

@rojkov Thanks for the hint. I did not know about ostro-os before. Seems fun. Hopefully I find some time to play around with it. I followed the discussion about the ROS2 meta layer. Has someone used it with an open source meta-layer already in general, not specific to the BeagleBone Black? (I am interested in the BeagleBone Black, RaspberryPi, etc. because it is easier to get people involved with these boards.)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/distribution-layers-for-ros/3355/3) or reply to this email to respond.