[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Ceres Package?

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Ceres Package?

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

@jrivero @tfoote Did this backport ever occur? There doesn't seem to be anything for Xenial in the main repo:

http://packages.ros.org/ros/ubuntu/pool/main/c/ceres-solver/

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ceres-package/872/12) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Ceres Package?

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

I don't know about the backport, but in the meantime `ceres-solver` has become a Catkin package (perhaps because Google is using it in `cartographer`?): [ceres-solver](https://github.com/ceres-solver/ceres-solver).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ceres-package/872/13) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Ceres Package?

[quote="Mike_Purvis, post:12, topic:872"]
@jrivero @tfoote Did this backport ever occur? There doesn't seem to be anything for Xenial in the main repo:
[/quote]

Oh sorry, I totally miss this warning. @tfoote just remember it to me and we launched our backport job to get the ceres-solver packages into Xenial. [The first run was to port the 1.12 version into Xenial](http://build.osrfoundation.org/job/generic_backport-debbuilder/22/) altough we can easily try to get the 1.11 version working if that fits better the plan.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ceres-package/872/14) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Ceres Package?

I've been trying to work on this in the background, but it's slow going. Xenial worked without patches. I ran into issues targeting the other platforms.

In particular Jessie has [libsuitesparse 4.2.1-3](https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libsuitesparse-dev) but the yakkety version requires [4.4.3 or higher](http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/libceres-dev).
And wily has the same version as jessie.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ceres-package/872/15) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Ceres Package?

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

[quote="marguedas, post:19, topic:872"]
Regarding Kinetic: Debian Jessie still doesnt have a ceres-solver back-port and contributions in that direction are very welcomed.
[/quote]

This would be great to have. Attempting to backport onto Jessie runs into unresolved dependencies. If someone has time to look into these dependency versions as see which ones can be relaxed to support a backport to Jessie that would be great. But it's quite possible that the requirements don't match on Jessie for either 1.11 or 1.12 which would explain why it's not already bundled.

[quote="tfoote, post:15, topic:872"]
In particular Jessie has libsuitesparse 4.2.1-3 but the yakkety version requires 4.4.3 or higher.
And wily has the same version as jessie.
[/quote]

As an example here's where the backporting stops when attempting to run for Jessie.

```
dpkg-deb: building package `ceres-solver-build-deps' in `../ceres-solver-build-deps_1.12.0+dfsg0-1_all.deb'.

The package has been created.
Attention, the package has been created in the current directory,
not in ".." as indicated by the message above!
Selecting previously unselected package ceres-solver-build-deps.
(Reading database ... 24600 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ceres-solver-build-deps_1.12.0+dfsg0-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking ceres-solver-build-deps (1.12.0+dfsg0-1) ...
(Reading database ... 24604 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing ceres-solver-build-deps (1.12.0+dfsg0-1) ...
Done installing deps
Building package
gbp:info: ceres-solver_1.12.0+dfsg0.orig.tar.gz does not exist, creating from 'upstream/1.12.0+dfsg0'
 dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -i -I
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
dpkg-buildpackage: source package ceres-solver
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 1.12.0+dfsg0-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Philipp Huebner <[hidden email]>
 dpkg-source -i -I --before-build backports
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture amd64
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: cmake libatlas-base-dev libgoogle-glog-dev libgflags-dev libeigen3-dev (>= 3.2.1) libsuitesparse-dev (>= 1:4.4.3) python-sphinx python-sphinx-rtd-theme libjs-mathjax
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)
debuild: fatal error at line 1376:
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc -i -I failed
gbp:error: 'debuild -i -I -uc -us' failed: it exited with 29
```

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ceres-package/872/20) or reply to this email to respond.