[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Joystick_drivers package

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Joystick_drivers package

Nikolaus Demmel via ros-users

So one of the challenges with maintaining the `joystick_drivers` package is that to do it right, you need to make sure all the drivers actually work on all the release platforms. I think the `joystick_drivers` packages should be split up into separate repos and maintained independently. This would make it easier for all of the different drivers to stay up to date.

I originally took over maintainership of it because the previous maintainer no longer had any time to maintain it. For a while now that's also been the case with me.

Unfortunately, as @tfoote mentioned, there still isn't a formal process for this, but maybe we can start putting one together.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/joystick-drivers-package/905/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Joystick_drivers package

Nikolaus Demmel via ros-users

[quote="jbohren-hbr, post:6, topic:905"]
I think the joystick_drivers packages should be split up into separate repos and maintained independently. This would make it easier for all of the different drivers to stay up to date.
[/quote]

That sounds like a reasonable proposal to me.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/joystick-drivers-package/905/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Joystick_drivers package

Nikolaus Demmel via ros-users

@joq @mdhorn I've had a couple interns here at Honeybee start testing out and refactoring the joystick drivers (@Jprod123 and @alabady). As it stands it seems like the wireless joysticks aren't working well on Xenial / Kinetic, so they're going to do some OS coverage testing to figure out what's broken.

Once the issues are ironed out, we can figure out how to organize the releases. See here for the refactored joystick drivers packages: [HBR driver forks](https://github.com/honeybee-robotics-forks?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=driver).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/joystick-drivers-package/905/8) or reply to this email to respond.