[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Did anyone use kinetic for novatel gps, thanks

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Dirk Thomas via ros-users

Hello!  I have primarily tested the novatel-gps-driver package on Indigo and Kinetic, actually.  We (at Southwest Research Institute) have been using it internally for a few years now and just released it as open source and pushed it to the build farm for the first time, so it hasn't made it into the release repository yet.  I am planning to make a release announcement sometime soon but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Hi, could you give me the debug one, I can test it, thanks

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Source code and documentation are available here: https://github.com/swri-robotics/novatel_gps_driver

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Thanks, preed
I got this link, but I'am a little confused about your instruction such as catkin init it did not find this command and git clone address should be added as novatel_gps_driver!
Thanks
Sincerely

 iPhone

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Oops, you're correct.  I'll fix the URL.

I typically use [catkin_tools](https://catkin-tools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing.html) to build catkin packages and am so used to it that I didn't even think to mention it.  You should also be able to use [catkin_make](http://wiki.ros.org/catkin/Tutorials/using_a_workspace) to build it like any other catkin workspace.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Hi, Preed,
I used catkin_tools, but it said that:
Errors     << novatel_gps_driver:cmake /home/robot/novatel/logs/novatel_gps_driver/build.cmake.002.log
CMake Error at /home/robot/Documents/ros/devel/share/tf2_ros/cmake/tf2_rosConfig.cmake:106 (message):
  Project 'tf2_ros' specifies
  '/home/xiaoqiang/Documents/ros/src/geometry2/tf2_ros/include' as an include
  dir, which is not found.  It does neither exist as an absolute directory
  nor in
  '/home/xiaoqiang/Documents/ros/src/geometry2/tf2_ros//home/xiaoqiang/Documents/ros/src/geometry2/tf2_ros/include'.
  Ask the maintainer 'Tully Foote <tfoote@@osrfoundation.org>' to fix it.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /opt/ros/jade/share/tf/cmake/tfConfig.cmake:165 (find_package)
  /opt/ros/jade/share/catkin/cmake/catkinConfig.cmake:76 (find_package)
  CMakeLists.txt:27 (find_package)
Have you got this problem? Thanks

> > preed
September 6 |

Oops, youre correct. Ill fix the URL.

I typically use catkin_tools to build catkin packages and am so used to it that I didnt even think to mention it. You should also be able to use catkin_make to build it like any other catkin workspace.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

> > wenlong
September 6 |
Thanks, preed I got this link, but Iam a little confused about your instruction such as catkin init it did not find this command and git clone address should be added as novatel_gps_driver! Thanks Sincerely  iPhone

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

I haven't seen errors like that before.  Those look a little strange; are you able to compile other catkin packages from source without problem?  Have you tried using `catkin_make` to compile `novatel-gps-driver` instead?

Although, I also see this:

    Call Stack (most recent call first):
    /opt/ros/jade/share/tf/cmake/tfConfig.cmake:165 (find_package)
    /opt/ros/jade/share/catkin/cmake/catkinConfig.cmake:76 (find_package)

If you are using ROS Jade, `novatel-gps-driver` has actually already made it into its release repository, so you may be able to simply do `sudo apt-get install ros-jade-novatel-gps-driver` and skip compiling it from source.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Dear preed
I solved this problem, for the name of virtual machine
Does this project support OEM718D?
I launched and it always said that insufficient data rate
The frequency is 5Hz, thanks
Sincerely

> > preed
September 8 |

I havent seen errors like that before. Those look a little strange; are you able to compile other catkin packages from source without problem? Have you tried using catkin_make to compile novatel-gps-driver instead?

Although, I also see this:

Call Stack (most recent call first):
/opt/ros/jade/share/tf/cmake/tfConfig.cmake:165 (find_package)
/opt/ros/jade/share/catkin/cmake/catkinConfig.cmake:76 (find_package)

If you are using ROS Jade, novatel-gps-driver has actually already made it into its release repository, so you may be able to simply do sudo apt-get install ros-jade-novatel-gps-driver and skip compiling it from source.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

> > wenlong
September 8 |

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Dear preed
I got this problem
rostopic echo /bestpos
ERROR: Cannot load message class for [novatel_gps_msgs/NovatelPosition]. Are your messages built?
I did source devel/setup.bash before
Thanks

> > preed
September 8 |

I havent seen errors like that before. Those look a little strange; are you able to compile other catkin packages from source without problem? Have you tried using catkin_make to compile novatel-gps-driver instead?

Although, I also see this:

Call Stack (most recent call first):
/opt/ros/jade/share/tf/cmake/tfConfig.cmake:165 (find_package)
/opt/ros/jade/share/catkin/cmake/catkinConfig.cmake:76 (find_package)

If you are using ROS Jade, novatel-gps-driver has actually already made it into its release repository, so you may be able to simply do sudo apt-get install ros-jade-novatel-gps-driver and skip compiling it from source.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

> > wenlong
September 8 |
Hi, Preed, I used catkin_tools, but it said that: Errors << novatel_gps_driver:cmake /home/robot/novatel/logs/novatel_gps_driver/build.cmake.002.log CMake Error at /home/robot/Documents/ros/devel/share/tf2_ros/cmake/tf2_rosConfig.cmake:106 (message): Project tf2_ros specifies /home/xiaoq

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

I haven't tested the driver with an OEM718D, but I think it should work.  Make sure you set the `polling_period` param correctly; I believe the default is `0.05`, but if your GPS is running at 5 Hz, then it should be `0.20`.

Actually, I think there may be a bug that causes the "insufficient data rate" warning to be logged if your GPS produces GPGGA logs at a rate less than 20 Hz, even if your `polling_period` is configured differently.  I'll look into that.  If it is working properly, you should see it publish `gps_common/GPSFix` messages on the `gps` topic at your expected rate.

As for your other problem, are you sure you sourced ROS's setup.bash in the same terminal you ran `rosecho` in after you installed the packages?  I tested it on a fresh Ubuntu 14.04 / ROS Jade system, and running `rosmsg show novatel_gps_msgs/NovatelPosition` worked for me.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

@wenlong Please reask this as a question on http://answers.ros.org following our [Support Guidelines](http://wiki.ros.org/Support).

We work to keep the release category here on ROS Discourse for announcements and packaging related discussions.

You can link to it from here so others who find this thread will find your question. (If you edit your above post it won't resend emails to everyone.)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/12) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management/Kinetic] Did kinetic support novatel gps

Hi, Reed
I changed the GPGGA log rate to 20Hz, but the "insufficient data rate" warning did appear again

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/did-kinetic-support-novatel-gps/2567/13) or reply to this email to respond.