[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

OpenCV 3.3 adds some C++11 support, as well  as a DNN module.

These features could be quite useful for developers, and robotic applications.

ROS Kinetic and Lunar are both on OpenCV 3.2:
http://repositories.ros.org/status_page/ros_kinetic_default.html?q=opencv3
http://repositories.ros.org/status_page/ros_lunar_default.html?q=opencv3

Are there any plans to upgrade the ROS OpenCV package to 3.3?

Thanks,
Rohan

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

@rohbotics same issue!
I got 3.3.0 on rpi3.
https://hackmd.io/s/S1oIlawDb
More specific is the dependency for cv_bridge  be compatible with 3.3.0
But I think OSRF friends are busy developing  ROS2, I ever build from source cv_bridge with OpenCV3.2.0 to get libcv_bridge.so (kinetic default), then pkg-config with 3.3.0 try to use other dnn functions, but got no luck.
The terminal freeze when i'm compiling the application code.
https://hackmd.io/s/H1tfSqYv-
Ooops, sorry in Chinese.
Anyone got good idea? Let's make it work together

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

@Vincent_Rabaud Is usually the one releasing OpenCV in ROS. I think that he would have the most context to tell us how much API breakage there is between these versions and if it makes more sense to release openCV3.3 in existing distros or to release it only in ROS Melodic.

Edit: opencv3 package version in all ROS distros can be found here: http://repositories.ros.org/status_page/compare_indigo_jade_kinetic_lunar.html?q=opencv3

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

I have been totally slacking on package maintenance but yes I will upgrade
it soon. We usually try to keep versions steady but maintaining OpenCV is
too big and just upgrading is easier. Plus, there is a package versioning
bug (in bloom ?) that requires a version bump to get OpenCV working on
Gentoo. Stay tuned.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

Note that opencv 3.3 added initializer list constructors for `cv::Mat` and `cv::Mat_`. As a result, code using uniform initialization syntax may change meaning:

```
cv::Mat a{2, 2, CV_8UC1};
```

In opencv 3.2 that creates a 2 by 2 matrix with data type 8UC1. In opencv 3.3 it creates a cv::Mat with a single column containing 3 integers.

In the latest release (3.3.0) this even took over from the copy constructor because the `initializer_list` constructor was implemented as an constructor template for all `std::initializer_list<T>` without placing limits on `T`:

```
cv::Mat foo = cv::imread("foo.png");
cv::Mat copy{foo};
```

In opencv 3.2 this invokes the copy constructor. In opencv 3.3.0 this creates a 1x1 matrix containing some strange value. Templates that don't know they're dealing with a `cv::Mat` are especially prone to bugs because of this. A PR has been merged that makes sure the above code invokes the copy constructor again in opencv 3.3 (by restricting the initializer list constructor to arithmetic types), but it's not in a release yet:
https://github.com/opencv/opencv/pull/9507

Personally I made sure that none of our code was accidentally using the `std::initializer_list` constructor by adding a `static_assert(!std::is_same<T, T>::value, "")` inside the constructor in the opencv header and then recompiling all our code. Not pretty, but it works.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

3.3.1 got out with your fix and I just released it for Kinetic and Lunar.
https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/pull/16230
Enjoy !

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] OpenCV 3.3

ROS Agriculture via ros-users

Not that I am particularly religious or anything but: Hallelujah Brother!

When you are next in San Jose I owe you many beers!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/opencv-3-3/2674/8) or reply to this email to respond.