[Discourse.ros.org] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

[Discourse.ros.org] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

I am pleased to announce the release of PlotJuggler 1.0

https://github.com/facontidavide/PlotJuggler

PlotJuggler is a graphic interface that  allows users to visualize data (and in particular time series) from either a rosbag or a streaming of messages from ros topics (including rosout).

It can be considered a unified replacement for rqt_plot, rqt_rosbag and rqt_console.
You can watch a short presentation video here:

https://vimeo.com/214389001

The 1.0 release is a big milestone for the project. This is what you should expect from this first official release:

- __Feature-complete__: there are a couple of new cool series on Netflix, so don't expect me to do any further development in the near future. I will still fix bugs, though.

- __Reliability__: the app apparently crushes less often than usual and I believe that was a compelling reason to tag the 1.0 release.

- __Stable API (plugins)__:  ... until I decide unilaterally to change it, of course.

In short, if you think that the only purpose of tagging the current release as 1.0 is just a marketing strategy to make you think that this software worths your trust, you are absolutely right.

I would like to thank all the user that relentlessly asked me to fix bugs and add features (without contributing with any PR, of course); with their Github issues they helped make PlotJuggler great again!

Cheers

Davide

P.S.= __Seriously now__. I appreciated a lot the people which sent suggestions, issue reports, feedback and PR.
If you find PlotJuggler useful, or think that it can be improved, please consider dropping me a line.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Very nice work! It really looks like a modernized rqt_plot! I will thoroughly look into it when I have the time. Watched, and starred on github for now! Keep it up!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Wow! It is awesome. I will use this package in the future. Gooooood Job! :grinning:

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

Thanks @Pyo and @gstavrinos. I am already receiving very good feedbacks and fixing few minor issues.

Cheers

Davide

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

By the way, I am curious.
Currently PlotJuggler can open CSV and rosbags.

Does anyone in the community believe that other file format should be supported in the future?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

It replaced rqt_graph and rqt_bag for my project, awesome work !

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

@AlexisTM Thanks a lot.
But you mentioned qt_graph? Really?
PlotjJggler does have a lot of features but none of them resemble rqt_graph...

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

\*Plot, \**hum hum\** rqt_plot :D

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

What a SuperPlotter! ;p

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/9) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

[quote="facontidavide, post:5, topic:1727"]
Does anyone in the community believe that other file format should be supported in the future?
[/quote]
Perhaps you might want to look at data formats commonly supported by other time series libraries, like pandas. I'm not sure how much demand there would be for JSON, HDF5, SQL, etc... but you might want to check:
http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/io.html

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

@ruffsl thanks for the suggestion.

I was thinking about SQL and and HDF5, but I am not sure about the number of people using these formats, and I am afraid to spend time on features no one really need ;)

If anyone DOES need a specific format to be supported, let me know on [Github issues.](https://github.com/facontidavide/PlotJuggler/issues)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/11) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [General] PlotJuggler 1.0 Released

Joshua Whitley via ros-users

I've started to see [Line-Delimited JSON](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON_Streaming#Line_delimited_JSON), especially in log streams and files. I have found it fairly useful in data logging streaming and log-analysis. I do not know how wide-spread it is in the ROS community currently.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/plotjuggler-1-0-released/1727/12) or reply to this email to respond.