Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I am also a masters student doing work on creating things for ROS. I am working on the UI side of things. Seems like that is an area that is really lacking, especially web based systems. Does anyone else agree with this observation?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

[quote="sonyccd, post:3, topic:443, full:true"]
I am also a masters student doing work on creating things for ROS. I am working on the UI side of things. Seems like that is an area that is really lacking, especially web based systems. Does anyone else agree with this observation?
[/quote]

Yes, I would love a web-based RViz, rqt and other such tools fi. Not sure how suitable something like that is for a MSc (or if I even understood you correctly), but it would be very welcome (possibly connect with web-based gazebo, rwt, roslibjs, etc, etc).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

We have integrated rviz, rqt and the other graphical tools on the web. A video demo [here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhy7UXIG4cE).

You can use them, together with simulations, to develop ROS code, test and else here: sw.theconstructsim.com

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

[quote="TheConstruct, post:6, topic:443, full:true"]
We have integrated rviz, rqt and the other graphical tools on the web. A video demo [here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhy7UXIG4cE).

You can use them, together with simulations, to develop ROS code, test and else here: sw.theconstructsim.com
[/quote]

Is that a 'terminal service' / ICA like web client? I've used those myself, what are your experiences with touch screen devices with that?

It's a nice start, but an actual (HTML5, canvas, webgl, etc) implementation would be even nicer :)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Thanks for your responses.

When I initially thought about choosing to create a robot for my masters project I was quite enthusiastic about creating my own visualization software until I saw what was already out there and it sort of blew the winds from my sails. Thanks for pointing this out for me, im quite eager to learn about web sockets and webgl and creating a web-based interface for ROS sounds appealing to me.

However, I've only got three months to work on a self contained project. What kind of features would you like to see in a web client? You mentioned touch screen compatibility...

@sonyccd I've checked out your work, looks like a good start to something and its given me some ideas gl :D

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hi,

 I have been working for quite some time on a REST interface for ROS systems (based on python) : https://github.com/asmodehn/rostful.
Very useful for introspection into running multiprocess systems and debugging. Better client code for visualisation would sure be a big help, but I am currently focusing on a more critical part : getting the web server interfacing with ROS right...

Since a big part lacking in ROS is documentation/support/tutorials for developing reactive systems, I have been thinking of investigating using http://elm-lang.org/ in a web cient to offer a graphical view of a running ROS systems. I didnt get around doing it yet... If it s something that interests you, it can be quite self contained I think...  And I think it would be an interesting experience for the people interested in web system development for ROS. There also, the tricky part will probably be interfacing with ROS.

You could remake the usual ROS turtle simulation tutorial, but web based, just for fun :-) Or remake some QT tools, or of course just pick you own idea... Feel free to ping me if you want more info about any of these.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/10) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I think all of you who want to contribute some of your masters effort to ROS are great!

On the web dev side, certainly look at: https://github.com/RobotWebTools

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/13) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

The problem I have with ros-control-center is a lack of UI UX purpose. How can this be used for robotics operation? How can the user see the status of important topics at one time? How can you manage users and multiple robots? What about data collections and logging? Is there security in the connection? How does this scale for deployment? etc. It does a great job demonstrating the possibilities of roslibjs. I used it to learn how the library works.

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/14) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I agree, its a tool for inspecting but it looks like a tool for configuring your router, not exactly user friendly. Have you tried the RMS (Robot Management System) yet??  what do you think about that?

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/15) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Master thesis subject to help ROS

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Yes. I am using their library (roslibjs) to communicate with ROS.

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/master-thesis-subject-to-help-ros/443/16) or reply to this email to respond.