[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

I've started a full ROS project for the true automation of an R2-D2 unit.
We've purchased a licensed replica from Side Show but I want to hack it into a full functional screen accurate robot.
We have a complete set of 1:1 scale blueprints from the original film production.
We also have purchased and laser-scanned an original dome, radar eye, and holoprojectors.
Through Q4 we will be creating accurate mesh files for use in simulation in RVIZ and Gazebo.

![00|666x500](upload://owRX2AXdIxf6NRTNMZJ16K5uAgJ.jpg)

![Capture03|645x500](upload://4tR1xexAc8C3tfUtJSRdEhvuTP7.jpg)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

I'm excited to see this project develop! Do you have a github repo for the project?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

Very cool! This has also been a dream of mine, which you might have guessed if you [do the urdf tutorials](http://wiki.ros.org/urdf/Tutorials/Building%20a%20Visual%20Robot%20Model%20with%20URDF%20from%20Scratch).

For those interested, there is also this video from a few years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aTsYVmqooE

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

I actually spoke with Bjorn yesterday about any progress hes made on his R2 ROS project. He said life has gotten in the way and at this point his ROS work is ancient history as he put it. I was hoping to corral him into the project.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

I actually started with the URDF tutorial. Lol. If you created the tutorial then it looks like your already all in on the project whether you were aware of it or not. :)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

It looks really amazing. Do you pretend to release the code? Do you have any repository? If you need it I might help you with it :slight_smile:

Congratulations by the way ;)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] OpenR2 ROS

Mikael Arguedas via ros-users

We could use any help we can get. The plan is all the code would be Open Source including all the geometry files.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/openr2-ros/3117/7) or reply to this email to respond.