Quantcast

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

123

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I am just catching up on this entire project (which I must say is really interesting!), and see that you need to fuse IMU and GPS data. If you do want to use `robot_localization`, note that you don't necessarily need wheel odometry, but rather a [nav_msgs/Odometry](http://docs.ros.org/api/nav_msgs/html/msg/Odometry.html) message, which is generated by an instance of `ekf_localization_node`. You could do something like the following:

**ekf_localization_node**
**Inputs**: IMU, `nav_msgs/Odometry` message containing the GPS pose (as produced by `navsat_transform_node`), and possibly GPS velocity (more on that in a moment)
**Outputs**: `nav_msgs/Odometry` message with your tractor's state

**navsat_transform_node**
**Inputs**: IMU, GPS, and `nav_msgs/Odometry` message from EKF
**Outputs**: `nav_msgs/Odometry` message containing the GPS pose, transformed into the EKF's world frame, (optionally) a filtered GPS fix

You'll note that there's a circular dependency here, which is that the EKF has to produce an odometry message for `navsat_transform_node`, which is then spitting out its own odometry message that gets fed back to the EKF. The reasons for it are probably a bit much to go into here, but it will work: the EKF will get its first IMU measurement and immediately produce a state estimate, which will get fed to `navsat_transform_node` along with the IMU and GPS data, and `navsat_transform_node` will spit out a pose that is consistent with your EKF's coordinate frame, and can be fused back into it. This lets you control your tractor based on its world frame pose (the EKF output).

There are two things that I'd want to know more about, however:

1. If you want to use the GPS velocity data and fuse that into the EKF (which I would recommend), you'd first want to make sure that the data is in the body frame of the tractor. A cursory glance at the `nmea_savsat_driver` [source](https://github.com/ros-drivers/nmea_navsat_driver/blob/jade-devel/src/libnmea_navsat_driver/driver.py#L167) seems to suggest that they are converting the velocity into a world frame (apologies if I am misreading that), but if you want to fuse it with the EKF, you need the _body_-frame velocity (i.e., on the tractor, your tractor's linear velocity would always be +/- X).
2. I'd need to know your IMU's coordinate frame. The data sheet seems to suggest that it already assumes that the signs of the data would be `robot_localization` friendly (e.g., a counter-clockwise turn should correspond to an increase in yaw), but I'm assuming that your IMU reads 0 when facing magnetic north, correct? I only ask because we assume a heading of 0 for east, not north. There's a parameter in `navsat_transform_node` for specifying that offset, however, along with the magnetic declination for your location.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/43) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hi, Tom.  I appreciate your explanations and suggestions.  Getting the accuracy I need is becoming critical and I'm becoming anxious.

I have one of my IMUs in front of me now.  Yes, it reads 0 when facing magnetic north.

I think I recall seeing a video that explained the circular dependency you mention.  That makes sense to me.  But this is all still very fuzzy.  I need some basic help with frames.

Could you give me a simple first step or two?  A launch file, for example, would be wonderful.

Thank you!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/44) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hi Kyler, here I uploaded a starting point for using the robot_localization. I am adapting it to your system yet. The navsat transform node it is already done and "just" the ekf node must the set:

[tractobots_robot_localization](https://github.com/kylerlaird/tractobots/tree/robot_localization/src/tractobots_robot_localization)

More or less it is the same Tom proposed.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/45) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I submitted a PR against that branch with a few tweaks.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/46) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I am feeling a lot of pressure these days.  I need to get in the field.  I only have one dual-RTK receiver and I really don't want to buy another one from NVS.  It would be wonderful if I could get fusion working enough to make a single antenna receiver work.  I greatly appreciate the help I've received in working toward that.  However...

Today I decided to return to what I've done already.  I realized that my tracked tractor, Tractobot02, has an IMU which assists the steering.  That's part of why it's so easy to control.  I wanted to take a similar approach to Tractobot03 - use the GPS for heading but then use the IMU for steering corrections.  It simply worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKPoWE57VNw

I am still excited about ROS fusion goodness, rviz, and other great tools, but right now I'm going to use what I know in order to get in the field.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/47) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Sounds good! Ping me if you ever want to try again, and good luck!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/48) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hi, all!  A couple updates while I sit in the truck watching Tractobot02...

solosito is helping me with fusion.  I'm excited about it.  I feel confident that I can do what I need with my dual-antenna receiver plus IMU but I'm hopeful that I can get down to a single antenna.  I now understand more of what Tom_Moore has been saying.  Thanks for everyone's help!

I got Tractobot02 back from the shop and loaded the code I'd developed for VT a couple weeks.  I had to make a few changes to it but I finally got it working this afternoon.  It's tilled over 150 acres since then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obu_Ru2gDHk

Tractobot02 is tracking surprisingly well.  I suspect that pulling a heavy implement is helping to maintain a straight course.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/49) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Kyler:

Two thumbs up!  this is so cool.

What are you using for GPS's?  I know you've played with NVS, Piski, etc.

I have a couple Emlid reach units.  did some testing this weekend using 1 reach with NTRIP CORS VRS corrections provided by Ohio Dept of Transportation.  The Reach unit would only hold rtk fix for 2-3 min, then drop into float and take 2-5 min to get back to fix.

This isn't good enough for future autosteer as when it changes modes, the position would also shift 20-30 cm.

i was amazed on my simple setup that when the system was in RTK fix, I could easily stay within about 6" of target.  This is the first time a low cost lightbar type of system (using AgOpen) has shown promise.  My goal is to move to autosteer by next year.  (of the fall with the combine if things come together).

Right now, I'm targeting a mechanical system as all equipment is too old or too small to have factory valves and I can't financially justify adding electronic steering valves.  targeting one unit I can move around.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/50) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

87yj,

I'm using the NVS-NV08C-RTK-A.  I want to move away from it, though.  I have a Piksi, REACH RS, and a couple of Piksi Multis.  I am thinking that the Tersus BX306 might be the way to go, though.  I'm hoping that Piksi gets their RTCM code soon.

Throw an IMU into your system.  I wish I had done that sooner.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/51) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

What are you using from the IMU to help with guidance?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/52) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

https://www.tinkerforge.com/en/blog/new-imu-brick-imu-20/

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/53) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Hee Hee, not which IMU, what parameters are you using to help with guidance?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/54) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Sorry I didn't explain that.  The IMU Brick does its own fusion.  I just use its heading output right now.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/55) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Only the using the heading from the IMU or complimentary filtering with GPS heading?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/56) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Actually, I misspoke.  I forgot that I'm using the IMU for turn rate also.

But mostly I'm using the IMU heading so that I can "Turn 10 degrees left (of where you are now)" and it'll do it.  The IMU heading drifts but I use the GPS heading to determine how much I need to turn, so it's not a big issue.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/57) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Since you have RTK and cm level accuracy of fix, why not just use the GPS to determine your heading? Promise, that's the last question lol.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/58) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I need an accurate heading and a high refresh rate.  RTK doesn't give me either.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/59) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

The Tinkerforge IMU 2 looks interesting. What ROS package are you using for it? So far I've only seen [tinkerforge_laser_transform](http://wiki.ros.org/tinkerforge_laser_transform) and another package from the same author.
But I'm not happy with the nodes covariance matrix (all 3x3 values 0.1).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/60) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

Humpelstilzchen,
The Tinkerforge ROS package is now much more complete:
https://github.com/gus484/ros-tinkerforge_sensors

I ended up just connecting directly to brickd, though.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/61) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Tractobots, my attempts at field robots

Procópio Stein via ros-users

I like boring robots.  Tractobot03 is approaching that stage.  Here is a boring video of it planting:
https://youtu.be/yccOilS22fo

Tractobot03 has planted 122A this week.  I have not driven it locally for any planting.  It was painfully slow and tedious for a couple days.  I had to enter each line into my code, ensuring that it went the correct way, start following the line, drop the planter, and start the fertilizer.  Then I had to raise the planter, stop the fertilizer, turn, then load a new line.

Today felt much better.  It's running pretty much on its own.  I even ran home once while it traveled from the far end of the field.  The main problem now is that I lose GPS periodically.  At least I have it programmed to stop when that happens.  Then I back up and resume.

Because of the pressure to plant, I fell back on my old navigation code.  My lines are not at all straight.  I'm calling them "heritage lines" - like my grandfather planted.  I look forward to improving them.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tractobots-my-attempts-at-field-robots/1486/62) or reply to this email to respond.

123