[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Suggestion for an interesting ROS "real world" example

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Suggestion for an interesting ROS "real world" example

Tully Foote via ros-users

For my Robotics course, I decided to change a little how I teach ROS. I would like to give students a worked example, not trivial but not super complicated, that they can run on a TurtleBot{2,3} and that it will do something cool.

Furthermore I would like the source code to be exemplary, and then ask them to try to figure out how it works and then make a simple modification.

I think a very early visible success will motivate them for the steep learning curve to come.

I am looking for a suggestions on what this "real world" example would do - or even if someone has developed this who would like to share their work.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/suggestion-for-an-interesting-ros-real-world-example/5398/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Suggestion for an interesting ROS "real world" example

Tully Foote via ros-users

Good idea. I liked. Sometimes I used this methodology to teaching reliability in robotics.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/suggestion-for-an-interesting-ros-real-world-example/5398/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Looking for ideas for interesting ROS "real world" pedagogical example

Tully Foote via ros-users

can you define "real world"?

if not, and if you are constrained to TurtleBot2 or TurtleBot3, then a nontrivial example is exploration of a static, indoor, office environment with gmapping (https://wiki.ros.org/gmapping).

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/looking-for-ideas-for-interesting-ros-real-world-pedagogical-example/5398/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Looking for ideas for interesting ROS "real world" pedagogical example

Tully Foote via ros-users

Thanks for your suggestion! I looked at the provided but I am not sure exactly where to take it in the context of my question. It sounds intriguing though. Could you give a few more details?

I meant an example that is meaningful and not just a way to play with topics, services and so on. I also meant something where I can provide the basic working code and have some interesting changes that students can make and see the results of before they really know ROS, kind of to build their appetite.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/looking-for-ideas-for-interesting-ros-real-world-pedagogical-example/5398/4) or reply to this email to respond.