[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

Hello,

I need help installing Ubuntu on TurtleBot3 Waffle.
I flashed Joule BIOS with version 193 (since 1J2 didn't worked and seemed a lot of people had trouble with it).
Looked good :
  - Downloading BIOS
  - Clearing NvStorage...

However after that I can't get any screen with micro HDMI-HDMI cable, still no signal.
I plugged power supply one openCR, keyboard, mouse and USB with Ubuntu on USB hub (which is connected to the Joule). All leds are green, plus the white/blue one.

Any suggestion ?
Thanks

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/1) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

Hello r00t,
The below link is the method that worked for us to recover the joule.
It seems like the sequence of connecting and disconnecting cables do matter.
https://github.com/ROBOTIS-GIT/turtlebot3/issues/77

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/2) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

Thank you for your reply.

Tried everything, still can't get it working.
First connecting type C USB, first connecting power supply, waiting 10min first boot before connecting HDMI, really everything. With both bios version 193 and 1J2. Even re-done exactly like in the video tutorial. Did it with two different Joule board (we got three of them), same thing.

Flashing is always fine, but can't get that output working.

Anyone with an other idea ? (Hardware is fine, test moves worked)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/3) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

According to McCool, sometimes specific monitors would not connect to the Joule.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/108466
Were you able to connect them with your current monitor before updating firmware?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/4) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

Yep, it was working before updating...

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/5) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

I'm trying to reproduce the problem with my Joule and if I figure out what the problem is, I'll share the solution for it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/6) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

Well, I took my chance installing directly the "Alternative Ubuntu for Joule" on a second Joule not flashed (since this way I did have acces to BIOS to boot on USB), and it works properly... (ROS install and turtlebot teleop working with no problem)
Seems weird 'cause there must be a reason the guide tells us to flash before doing it, but i am not complaining, it works.

I'll keep trying make the first one work, and come back to you if I find a solution.

Thanks @derlcn

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/7) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

Hello r00t,

As far as I understand, BIOS 193 is required in order to install Ubuntu with a USB flash drive. Since it was one of requirements from Ubuntu Developer(https://developer.ubuntu.com/core/get-started/intel-joule), I didn't doubt about updating the BIOS firmware.
At least you figured out your solution with the second Joule which is definitely a good news :smiley:
Please let me know if your second Joule has different BIOS version other than 193(https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26206/eng/joule-firmware-2017-02-19-193-public.zip) so I can also try with the same version.
Cheers!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/8) or reply to this email to respond.

[Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Waffle - HDMI no signal

Saurabh Bansal via ros-users

I was able to use joule-firmware-2017-06-26-1J2-public, specifically the debug bin file.  My initial flash with the release file would not boot, nor display anything on screen.  With the debug bin the board does run, although bootup times are very slow.

That said, the Joule board has proven to be unstable.  I'm unsure on the root cause, be it BIOS, Ubuntu, or hardware, but since Intel has discontinued the board I don't expect much in the way of software improvements.  At present, I've swapped over to a Raspberry Pi, and have an Odroid XU4 which will eventually end up in the Turtlebot.  I'll go back to the Joule at some point, but it's not a long term solution for development.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/waffle-hdmi-no-signal/2687/9) or reply to this email to respond.