Gazebo and ROS

Amy Ng

Hi

I am trying to run some robot simulations with Gazebo in ROS and I have a few basic questions.

Is there a Pioneer model in ROS (or do we need to create our own?)

I am used to control the robot in Gazebo through Player, I am just wondering what is the equivalent in ROS? How can I subscribe to the position controller of the robot and move it around manually?

Is there a camera sensor/interface/controller that I can attach to a robot and I can subscribe to? (I’ve read something about Rviz but I am not sure how to get it working)

How can I attach custom behavioural/navigation code to the robot so it explores the world by itself based on the code? And want languages does ROS support?

Thanks you very much.

Regards,

Amy

Re: Gazebo and ROS

David Feil-Seifer
We haven't officially released it yet, but if you go to the
usc-ros-pkgs repository in trunk, the p2os_urdf package has a model
for the pioneer3dx that is visualizable in rviz. It is not yet made to
work in gazebo, right now, it would just be an immobile block.
However, I would be happy to give you developer access to add this
capability.

As for nav behavior, in the gmapping package, there is a launch file
for having the robot explore the environment and build a map. Examples
for doing this with a real pioneer using the p2os node can be found in
the p2os_driver package.

-Dave

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Amy Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>

> I am trying to run some robot simulations with Gazebo in ROS and I have a
> few basic questions.
>

> Is there a Pioneer model in ROS (or do we need to create our own?)
>

> I am used to control the robot in Gazebo through Player, I am just wondering
> what is the equivalent in ROS? How can I subscribe to the position
> controller of the robot and move it around manually?
>

> Is there a camera sensor/interface/controller that I can attach to a robot
> and I can subscribe to? (I’ve read something about Rviz but I am not sure
> how to get it working)
>

> How can I attach custom behavioural/navigation code to the robot so it
> explores the world by itself based on the code? And want languages does ROS
> support?
>

> Thanks you very much.
>
> Regards,
>
> Amy

TimeNotInitializedException while creating tf.TransformListener in python

Antons Rebguns

Re: TimeNotInitializedException while creating tf.TransformListener in python

Ken Conley
The problem will be fixed in the most recent release of geometry, *but* you need to switch from latest to cturtle. We are switching over our development to cturtle, which we have just branched from latest in order to stabilize development. The official announcement for testing our alpha release of cturtle will likely come tomorrow, but you can access it (including debs) by substituting 'cturtle' for 'boxturtle' in any of the installation instructions. This alpha version of cturtle comes with the same warnings and caveats we apply to latest: use at your own risk, as problems like the one you reported are likely to exist.

 - Ken

Re: TimeNotInitializedException while creating tf.TransformListener in python

Antons Rebguns

Ken,

When are you planning to push changes back into latest? After cturtle is released?

Anton

On 06/08/2010 10:53 PM, Ken Conley wrote:

> The problem will be fixed in the most recent release of geometry, *but*
> you need to switch from latest to cturtle. We are switching over our
> development to cturtle, which we have just branched from latest in order
> to stabilize development. The official announcement for testing our
> alpha release of cturtle will likely come tomorrow, but you can access
> it (including debs) by substituting 'cturtle' for 'boxturtle' in any of
> the installation instructions. This alpha version of cturtle comes with
> the same warnings and caveats we apply to latest: use at your own risk,
> as problems like the one you reported are likely to exist.
>
>  - Ken
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Antons Rebguns <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I am running latest ROS and have a strange problem that shows up
> when running this little snippet of code:
>
> #! /usr/bin/env python
>
> import roslib; roslib.load_manifest('wubble_actions')
> import rospy
> import tf
>
> if __name__ == '__main__':
>    rospy.init_node('tf_test', anonymous=True)
>    tf = tf.TransformListener()
>    rospy.spin()
>
> After running this node I get the following error:

> 'ros::TimeNotInitializedException'
>  what():  Cannot use ros::Time before calling ros::init
> [test_tf-11] process has died [pid 15907, exit code -6].
> log files:
> /home/anton/.ros/log/6e6c07b8-7389-11df-9736-0026b0e3798c/test_tf-11*.log
>
> Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong here?
>
> Thanks,
> Anton

Re: TimeNotInitializedException while creating tf.TransformListener in python

Ken Conley
The changes will be pushed closer to the release of cturtle. It is difficult for us to maintain both cturtle and latest during this period, especially given the rapid rate of patches and fixes that will likely occur. cturtle and latest have small differences that would require doing separate testing to do simultaneous releases.

It's also the case that cturtle represents a more stable version of latest, with 99% of the same functionality. It's pretty much a win-win to switch. We generally don't recommend that any institution track latest, as it only exists to aid active ROS development. APIs are in flux, features get pulled, etc...

Hope this clears up any confusion,
Ken