How to debug the ros distributed program

How to debug the ros distributed program

j2eegirl
I focus on the collision detection for motion planning of pr2, and try to merge our collision detection method into ROS.
I have seen the code of collisionODE.cpp from collision_space package, and I think I have got the main idea of the algorithm.
But I need to debug the program of Checking collisions for a given robot state, which is using python and c++ together and is a distributed program.
I used gdb to debug......but failed.

Who can give me some advices? Thank you.

Re: How to debug the ros distributed program

Wim Meeussen
> But I need to debug the program of Checking collisions for a given robot
> state, which is using python and c++ together and is a distributed program.
> I used gdb to debug......but failed.
>
> Who can give me some advices? Thank you.

To debug an individual binary gdb can indeed be useful. But I assume
you want introspection in the interaction between your different ROS
nodes. ROS has many tools that will help you with debugging (e.g.
rostopic, rviz, ...). The wiki <http://www.ros.org/wiki> has lots of
useful documentation. As a starting point, I'd recommend going through
the tutorials <http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Tutorials>.

Good luck!

Wim

Wim Meeussen