Nao stack v0.3 released

Armin Hornung
Dear ROS (and Nao) users,

I'm happy to announce the release of version 0.3 of the "nao" stack
(http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao). Along with many bugfixes and
improvements, it is now compatible to ROS cturtle and diamondback with
NaoQI 1.6-1.10. The packages were restructured with all messages now in
nao_msgs (more general and Nao-independent ones are in
humanoid_nav_msgs) for cleaner dependencies. The new nao_tactile node
allows access to Nao's bumpers and touch sensors (thanks to Stefan
Osswald), and a new base_footprint frame enables a better compatibility
with existing planning methods (thanks to Daniel Maier). For a complete
changelog, see:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao/ChangeList

The source package release is available at:
http://code.google.com/p/alufr-ros-pkg/downloads/list

or via source checkout from Freiburg's ROS repository:
http://alufr-ros-pkg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nao/

Best regards,
Armin

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg

Re: Nao stack v0.3 released

Taylor Veltrop
Great, thanks!

Are there any plans to include an interface between NAO's cameras and the ROS Image message api?

Right now I am trying to navigate NAO to a red cup for the RoboGames autonomous basketball challenge.  I've been using the NAOqi api for everything on this, but considering the possibilities of using your humanoid_navigation stack.

Taylor

On Apr 7, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Armin Hornung wrote:

> Dear ROS (and Nao) users,
>
> I'm happy to announce the release of version 0.3 of the "nao" stack
> (http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao). Along with many bugfixes and
> improvements, it is now compatible to ROS cturtle and diamondback with
> NaoQI 1.6-1.10. The packages were restructured with all messages now in
> nao_msgs (more general and Nao-independent ones are in
> humanoid_nav_msgs) for cleaner dependencies. The new nao_tactile node
> allows access to Nao's bumpers and touch sensors (thanks to Stefan
> Osswald), and a new base_footprint frame enables a better compatibility
> with existing planning methods (thanks to Daniel Maier). For a complete
> changelog, see:
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao/ChangeList
>
> The source package release is available at:
> http://code.google.com/p/alufr-ros-pkg/downloads/list
>
> or via source checkout from Freiburg's ROS repository:
> http://alufr-ros-pkg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nao/
>
> Best regards,
> Armin
>
> --
> Armin Hornung
> Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
> Contact: http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga

Re: Nao stack v0.3 released

Trevor Jay
As usual, a great job. This looks bang on.

_Trevor

launching problems

Zinnirah Kasim

Hi all,

I am trying to make the pr2_pick_tutorial running.

I 've been trying to launch objects_database_local_server.launch in the household objects database stack. keep on getting this:

... logging to /home/zinnirah/.ros/log/feb28fde-60f2-11e0-b4e4-00216b482344/roslaunch-zinnirah-laptop-3869.log
Checking log directory for disk usage. This may take awhile.
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Done checking log file disk usage. Usage is <1GB.

started roslaunch server http://zinnirah-laptop:39685/

SUMMARY
========

PARAMETERS
 * /rosdistro
 * /household_objects_database/database_name
 * /household_objects_database/database_user
 * /rosversion
 * /household_objects_database/database_port
 * /household_objects_database/database_pass
 * /household_objects_database/database_host

NODES
  /
    objects_database_node (object_manipulation/household_objects_database/objects_database_node)

ROS_MASTER_URI=http://localhost:11311

core service [/rosout] found
ERROR: cannot launch node of type [object_manipulation/household_objects_database/objects_database_node]: Cannot locate installation of package object_manipulation/household_objects_database: [rospack] couldn't find package [object_manipulation/household_objects_database]. ROS_ROOT[/opt/ros/diamondback/ros] ROS_PACKAGE_PATH[/home/zinnirah/Documents/code:/opt/ros/diamondback/stacks]
No processes to monitor
shutting down processing monitor...
... shutting down processing monitor complete

I've followed the tutorials closely, had the database opened i postgresql, launching the dependencies...and so on.. t

what to do next?

 :(

As usual, a great job. This looks bang on.

_Trevor

Re: launching problems

Peter Brook-2
Hey Zinnirah,

Could you post this on answers.ros.org? That way it is easily searchable and the answer will be around to help other people.

I just ran "roslaunch household_objects_database objects_database_local_server.launch" on my computer (Diamondback with rosversion household_objects_database returning 0.4.3) and I didn't get an error about being unable to find the package. Can you roscd to household_objects_database correctly?

Peter

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Zinnirah Kasim <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Peter Brook
Sensor Systems Lab
University of Washington

Re: Nao stack v0.3 released

cyril.L
Taylor, NAO's camera / ROS Image bridge can be done easily.
In my current experimental setup, a ROS master runs on a PC, some nodes runs on NAO.
I made this camera bridge running on NAO, but I guess it can work remotely although I don't know if it will lag.

http://pastebin.com/vUh459KB

You will need to add the following in your CMakeLists.txt (you can also convert it in python :p)
rosbuild_add_executable(camera src/camera.cpp)
use_lib(camera ALCOMMON)

For those interested, I get mono 160x120 raw ROS images in real time over a wireless network, 320x240 works pretty well too.
Unfortunately image transport can't help here, compression on NAO takes more time than sending the raw image...
Let me know if getting images through a remote NaoQi works well.

An other thing regarding ROS cross compilation, apr, apr-utils and logcxx were already installed on my NAO (1.10.21).

Thanks for the great work Armin!

cyril

On 04/07/2011 08:26 AM, cyril.L wrote:

> Taylor, NAO's camera / ROS Image bridge can be done easily.
> In my current experimental setup, a ROS master runs on a PC, some nodes runs on NAO.
> I made this camera bridge running on NAO, but I guess it can work remotely although I don't know if it will lag.
>
> http://pastebin.com/vUh459KB
>
> You will need to add the following in your CMakeLists.txt (you can also convert it in python :p)
> rosbuild_add_executable(camera src/camera.cpp)
> use_lib(camera ALCOMMON)
>
> For those interested, I get mono 160x120 raw ROS images in real time over a wireless network, 320x240 works pretty well too.
> Unfortunately image transport can't help here, compression on NAO takes more time than sending the raw image...
That looks really useful! We only had a simple wrapper so far which was
slower than that (realtime framerate only in b/w over wireless). Remote
NaoQI connection (over wireless) was a lot slower, as the data is not
sent as efficiently as with ROS. But we made the same observation
regarding compression: When uncompressed, wireless is the bottleneck,
but for compressed transport it's the Nao's CPU.

A local camera access module (as opposed to remote on the robot) would
probably work even better, but we haven't gotten that far yet with
crosscompilation (that was with 1.6). But maybe that will all improve
once there is official ROS support on the Nao.

Any chance you could add dynamic_reconfigure access to the parameters
(resolution, camera selection, color space)? Then we would have a
full-blown camera driver for the Nao that could be packaged and
released. I would suggest setting the frame_id to either
"CameraTop_frame" or "CameraBottom_frame", depending on which one is
selected.

> An other thing regarding ROS cross compilation, apr, apr-utils and logcxx were already installed on my NAO (1.10.21).
That's great to know, and definitely makes crosscompilation easier as
these were the hardest parts  from what I read in Daniel's instructions
at http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao/Tutorials/Cross-Compiling

Best,
Armin

>> Great, thanks!
>>
>> Are there any plans to include an interface between NAO's cameras and the ROS Image message api?
>>
>> Right now I am trying to navigate NAO to a red cup for the RoboGames autonomous basketball challenge.  I've been using the NAOqi api for everything on this, but considering the possibilities of using your humanoid_navigation stack.
>>
>> Taylor
>>
>> On Apr 7, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Armin Hornung wrote:
>>
>>> Dear ROS (and Nao) users,
>>>
>>> I'm happy to announce the release of version 0.3 of the "nao" stack
>>> (http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao). Along with many bugfixes and
>>> improvements, it is now compatible to ROS cturtle and diamondback with
>>> NaoQI 1.6-1.10. The packages were restructured with all messages now in
>>> nao_msgs (more general and Nao-independent ones are in
>>> humanoid_nav_msgs) for cleaner dependencies. The new nao_tactile node
>>> allows access to Nao's bumpers and touch sensors (thanks to Stefan
>>> Osswald), and a new base_footprint frame enables a better compatibility
>>> with existing planning methods (thanks to Daniel Maier). For a complete
>>> changelog, see:
>>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/nao/ChangeList
>>>
>>> The source package release is available at:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/alufr-ros-pkg/downloads/list
>>>
>>> or via source checkout from Freiburg's ROS repository:
>>> http://alufr-ros-pkg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nao/
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Armin
>>>
>>> --
>>> Armin Hornung
>>> Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
>>> Contact: http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga

Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Contact: http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~hornunga

Re: Nao stack v0.3 released

LucaRicci
I'm interested too in getting images from NAO camera in ROS. Can you please be more specific about the necessary steps to implement the bridge? Particularly, I'd like to know where do I have to put the camera.cpp and which CMakeLists.txt should I edit.
Thank you in advance.

Luca Ricci