Quantcast

OpenNi setup easy with diamondback

dan barry
The setup instructions on the wiki for OpenNi work with the ROS unstable distribution, however, with cturtle they are difficult to follow and generate errors, mostly due to confusion regarding when to insert "unstable" vs "cturtle" in the setup process (particularly with the perception_pcl overlays).  However, Diamondback works well providing that you overlay
sudo apt-get install ros-diamondback-perception-pcl-addons

If would be helpful to have that on the wiki page as an option for setting up.

Re: OpenNi setup easy with diamondback

rusu
Administrator
Dan,

On 02/19/2011 09:36 PM, dan barry wrote:
> The setup instructions on the wiki for OpenNi work with the ROS unstable distribution, however, with cturtle they are
> difficult to follow and generate errors, mostly due to confusion regarding when to insert "unstable" vs "cturtle" in the
> setup process (particularly with the perception_pcl overlays). However, Diamondback works well providing that you overlay
>
> sudo apt-get install ros-diamondback-perception-pcl-addons
>
> If would be helpful to have that on the wiki page as an option for setting up.

Can you help us add this information to the wiki page? The latest releases of perception_pcl stopped functioning for
CTurtle due to the API breaking changes in the Eigen libraries. Once the NI stack will get released it will be easier
for us to tag it against multiple ROS versions that we support.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org

Re: OpenNi setup easy with diamondback

dan barry
Done.  I didn't want to edit that page without checking since I am only setting up one system and was not certain that this result applied in general.

From: Radu Bogdan Rusu <rusu@...>
Date: Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:42 AM
Subject: Re: [ros-users] OpenNi setup easy with diamondback
To: User discussions <ros-users@...>

Dan,

On 02/19/2011 09:36 PM, dan barry wrote:
> The setup instructions on the wiki for OpenNi work with the ROS unstable distribution, however, with cturtle they are
> difficult to follow and generate errors, mostly due to confusion regarding when to insert "unstable" vs "cturtle" in the
> setup process (particularly with the perception_pcl overlays). However, Diamondback works well providing that you overlay
>
> sudo apt-get install ros-diamondback-perception-pcl-addons
>
> If would be helpful to have that on the wiki page as an option for setting up.

Can you help us add this information to the wiki page? The latest
releases of perception_pcl stopped functioning for
CTurtle due to the API breaking changes in the Eigen libraries. Once
the NI stack will get released it will be easier
for us to tag it against multiple ROS versions that we support.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org

Re: OpenNi setup easy with diamondback

Patrick Goebel-2
The setup file on the NI installation wiki page for diamondback is
listed as ~/ni/setup.bash but when I just tried it, the file is actually
called ~/ni/setup.sh (.sh instead of .bash)  I didn't want to edit the
wiki page in case the file is meant to get renamed to "setup.bash" in
the git repository.

--patrick

On 02/19/2011 11:14 PM, dan barry wrote:

> Done. I didn't want to edit that page without checking since I am only
> setting up one system and was not certain that this result applied in
> general.
>
>     From: Radu Bogdan Rusu <[hidden email]
>     </mc/compose?to=[hidden email]>>
>     Date: Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:42 AM
>     Subject: Re: [ros-users] OpenNi setup easy with diamondback
>     To: User discussions <[hidden email]
>     </mc/compose?to=[hidden email]>>
>

>     Dan,
>

>     On 02/19/2011 09:36 PM, dan barry wrote:
>      > The setup instructions on the wiki for OpenNi work with the ROS
>     unstable distribution, however, with cturtle they are
>      > difficult to follow and generate errors, mostly due to confusion
>     regarding when to insert "unstable" vs "cturtle" in the
>      > setup process (particularly with the perception_pcl overlays).
>     However, Diamondback works well providing that you overlay
>      >
>      > sudo apt-get install ros-diamondback-perception-pcl-addons
>      >
>      > If would be helpful to have that on the wiki page as an option
>     for setting up.
>
>     Can you help us add this information to the wiki page? The latest
>     releases of perception_pcl stopped functioning for
>     CTurtle due to the API breaking changes in the Eigen libraries. Once
>     the NI stack will get released it will be easier
>     for us to tag it against multiple ROS versions that we support.
>

>     Cheers,
>     Radu.
>     --
>     http://pointclouds.org

Re: OpenNi setup easy with diamondback

tfoote
Hi Patrick,

The setup.(ba)sh file is generated by rosinstall.  rosinstall was patched recently to not use bashisms in setup.sh.  https://code.ros.org/trac/ros/ticket/2860 Your rosinstall is older than that, so it's only generating the .sh file.  I updated the wiki for the new syntax.  You can get the newer version using "easy_install -U rosinstall". And then rerun rosintall on the directory and the file will be updated.

Tully

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Patrick Goebel <[hidden email]> wrote:
The setup file on the NI installation wiki page for diamondback is
listed as ~/ni/setup.bash but when I just tried it, the file is actually
called ~/ni/setup.sh (.sh instead of .bash)  I didn't want to edit the
wiki page in case the file is meant to get renamed to "setup.bash" in
the git repository.

--patrick

On 02/19/2011 11:14 PM, dan barry wrote:
> Done. I didn't want to edit that page without checking since I am only
> setting up one system and was not certain that this result applied in
> general.
>
>     From: Radu Bogdan Rusu <[hidden email]
>     </mc/compose?to=[hidden email]>>
>     Date: Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 1:42 AM
>     Subject: Re: [ros-users] OpenNi setup easy with diamondback
>     To: User discussions <[hidden email]
>     </mc/compose?to=[hidden email]>>
>

>     Dan,
>

>     On 02/19/2011 09:36 PM, dan barry wrote:
>      > The setup instructions on the wiki for OpenNi work with the ROS
>     unstable distribution, however, with cturtle they are
>      > difficult to follow and generate errors, mostly due to confusion
>     regarding when to insert "unstable" vs "cturtle" in the
>      > setup process (particularly with the perception_pcl overlays).
>     However, Diamondback works well providing that you overlay
>      >
>      > sudo apt-get install ros-diamondback-perception-pcl-addons
>      >
>      > If would be helpful to have that on the wiki page as an option
>     for setting up.
>
>     Can you help us add this information to the wiki page? The latest
>     releases of perception_pcl stopped functioning for
>     CTurtle due to the API breaking changes in the Eigen libraries. Once
>     the NI stack will get released it will be easier
>     for us to tag it against multiple ROS versions that we support.
>

>     Cheers,
>     Radu.
>     --
>     http://pointclouds.org